How to drop a camera down a shaft?

I have a need for a rig where I can drop a 5D Mk2 approximately forty feet. in a controlled manner, down a shaft/stairwell. I've tried using a sling fashioned out of wire and then attached to a single line of braided cable. The problem I encountered is that the camera starts to spin uncontrollably. I also built a square rig with four points of attachment using nylon belting but the belting pays out at different rates leaving the platform to tilt. Any ideas welcome

I have a need for a rig where I can drop a 5D Mk2 approximately forty feet. in a controlled manner, down a shaft/stairwell. I've tried using a sling fashioned out of wire and then attached to a single line of braided cable. The problem I encountered is that the camera starts to spin uncontrollably. I also built a square rig with four points of attachment using nylon belting but the belting pays out at different rates leaving the platform to tilt. Any ideas welcome

Are you trying to get a smooth, controlled shot on the way down, of the effect of someone's POV as they fall...?

For the first, I'd suggest a rig that supports the camera on a platform and has wheels that touch the interior of the pipe, almost like you're using the inside of the pipe as a dolly track, if that makes sense. You might have to make it so the wheels are a little tight to the piping, to help support the weight of the rig, so you might find yourself needing to push the rig with something stiff, like a pole of some kind, to lower it at a steady speed, rather then dropping it on a wire.

For the second, I suggest waiting till the last shot, attaching a rope to the camera, handing the camera to a PA, explaining the shot you want to get, and pushing the PA down the pipe. Remind them to use their body to break the fall at the last possible moment. When they get to the bottom, use the rope to pull the camera back up. Send flowers to the PA's family and give the PA a posthumous "Additional Camera" credit.

gelder

For the second, I suggest waiting till the last shot, attaching a rope to the camera, handing the camera to a PA, explaining the shot you want to get, and pushing the PA down the pipe. Remind them to use their body to break the fall at the last possible moment. When they get to the bottom, use the rope to pull the camera back up. Send flowers to the PA's family and give the PA a posthumous "Additional Camera" credit.

I think this is the way to go.

Back