how to do a showreel?

Hello everyone!!!

I'm just in the process of making a showreel, but I'm not sure how to organize it... I'm a director and thats what I want to aspire for the most, however, I have quite a couple of projects that I've either produced or edited (including a documentary)..Therefore, I'm not sure if I should include all of them to show all my skills or just to stick with the films that I've directed...

Any suggestions/tips would be very much appreciated!

Alejandra xox

Show your best bits of work. If it's even a single shot that stands on its own as amazing in a film of absolute crap, you can include it as an example of your best work.

Ultimately it depends on the kind of reel you're making.

A reel a DP would make isn't going to highlight the same things a Directors reel is.

As a director, you really want to show that you can properly cast parts, and direct the actors playing those parts. It's good to show a range of emotions for various scenes you have directed.

I think I have some notes specifically on doing a directors reel around somewhere from the Action/Cut seminar I attended a few years ago.. if I can dig that up I'll post here, but I distinctly remember the various emotions bit was mentioned prominently

Back