• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to do a imagenry sceane that isnt tacky.

Hi im trying to make a kind of feel good underdog comedy apart from he dosnt really win but he kind of imagines he does. Basically the problem im having is that there has to be clips of him being terrible at football but then he imagines him being awesome. And i dont want it to be tacky, i think my favourite idea so far it it being realy like surreal with teddy bears watching him play football and like the golie be gandi or something. any other help would be nice. (im an ok editor but im not fantastic btw.

Do you want the audience to know immediately that he's imagining? Or do you want the audience to think he's really there and doing those things until he pops out of the day dream?

You'll handle these completely differently...

I think bringing the audience in, and having them believe he's doing it, but then snap them out of it at the last second can be really funny if the timing and editing is good. I've seen this done several times in films.

Of course, you can go the surreal route and add imaginary or surreal elements to the scene right away...

Back