How to Deal with an Inexperienced Director?

Not that I mind helping someone out, because everyone has to start from somewhere. I get that. But imo it's not that he's not willing to people's suggestions. But he acts like he already knows everything. I was the DP, cameraman and editor on a recent project and have been making films for a decent amount of time. Long story short, our call time was 4am and we ended up running WAY behind schedule and didn't actually start shooting until like 4 hours later.

From my point of view there was just way too much input coming in from too many people on set, and it created a chaotic environment. Like for instance, the sound guy, gaffer, and even the 2nd AC were all in my ear as to what the shot should look like. I won't say anything bad about the director/producer, but his directing style is very blunt with his actors. He's more of a "just do it right" type of personality. And from my experience that doesn't always go over well with actors. Now I'm not dogging him, he's a cool dude. But at one point he even left in the middle of the shoot for about an hour, because he had to pick up something for a later scene. (which we didn't end up shooting) and there was no one there to direct any of the production. So pretty much me and another guy had to direct all the actors and we were trying to rush so we still had time for the last scene.

Even at one point he and I had a little disagreement on which lens to use, (however I regret it, and we worked it out) but Idk it just didn't feel professional the way he just left the crew hanging. I know there is a hierarchy of roles to uphold, but I wasn't really sure as to how to handle the situation. I plan on shooting more videos with his company as a DP and editor, but I'm really cautious from here on out as to what input I should give and what I shouldn't. Any advice?

I had the same thing happen. I was just helping out on set to learn, and the director left to get something for and left me in charge of operating one of the cameras, and came back two hours later around. Well I messed up on what he wanted exactly, but he said it's okay and it was his fault for having to leave. He just edited it around the mistakes.

I guess if you are the DP (are you?), then give the director as much input as a DPs job would normally be too. I don't think directors should be too disagreeable, just so long as they have reasons for their decisions on the cinematography, lenses, lighting, etc. At least that's my opinion.

I have had some bad experience with working with DPs as they say some of my decisions are too 'artsy or avant guarde', but I always have storytelling reasons for them. But I am inexperienced as well. I think what you are doing is fine and should keep making suggestions or asking questions and why.

Is there a separate producer on the project? If so, bring your concerns to him/her. The onus will then be on the producer to sit down with the director.

The best thing you can do is tell the director how you feel. You've already wasted your time so whats the worst that can happen? when someone feels they know what they are doing and they clearly don't, its not right for us to just let it be especially if this person is your friend. After production is over just let them know how you feel and speak sincerely.

I made it my business to stop helping out people who take the risk of running a production without any clue as to what they're doing. The most i do if I have a friend who "claims" to be a director i just give them a book I recommend.

Fixing these issues on set is a very bad practice for all involved in the ridicule of this non educated director. Everyone has something to say but, everyone should be doing there homework beforehand and if "I" have the experience i would tell the director listen let's plan out everything before we shoot. If he doesn't want to then i don't want to either and now no one has wasted their time. The set is not the time to test skills or make someone into a better director. That takes time and schooling and then eventually he can learn.

Best Regards
Devin Gibson

Bite your tongue and do the best you can. You can let the director know he can come to you for advice at any time. If he doesn't, just do your job and wow him with your work.

Good luck.

I've been in a similar situation with a different perspective before. 110 page script, 15 day schedule and the most we got through was 5 pages a day. I won't go into the reasons, but you just really have to adjust to what's happening and do the best job you can and inform the appropriate people.

Thanks for the advice guys. Hey, we all learn something new everyday. I think what I'm going to do is just let it roll from here on out. I'll only provide input if he asks, and if I have to wait around a billion hours at the expense of everyone's sanity, then that's what I'm going to do :)

Back