How to add subtitles onto a film via Edius basic titler?

I need to create subtitles.

1) Do I need to use any special easy program to do it?
2) How to add subtitles created entered onto a film via Edius 6 basic titler please?

all the best

Do you want them hard-coded or do you want people to be able to turn them off?

If hard-coded is all you need, then you can use your editing software to add the text onto the image. If you want people to be able to turn them off, you'll need to create an .srt file. There are some free programs out there. From what I understand, you will need to go line by line and tell the program what timecode the text should start and stop. Then you generate an .srt file, put it in the same folder as your video file and name it the same as the video. When you play the video it will automatically load the .srt file and you'll have the option to turn it off through the subtitles menu options.

Do you want them hard-coded or do you want people to be able to turn them off?

If hard-coded is all you need, then you can use your editing software to add the text onto the image. If you want people to be able to turn them off, you'll need to create an .srt file. There are some free programs out there. From what I understand, you will need to go line by line and tell the program what timecode the text should start and stop. Then you generate an .srt file, put it in the same folder as your video file and name it the same as the video. When you play the video it will automatically load the .srt file and you'll have the option to turn it off through the subtitles menu options.

Not 100% sure on that
on the other hand film festivals want it embedded/hard coded onto film against mishaps I heard though I haven't heard it officially

what is your suggestion?
embedded or separate .srt file

by the way, I'll be submitting it to the festivals in dvd format
does that mean it'll be part of the dvd selection menu?

any tips if it needs to be a dvd menu please?

any special instructions I need to know?

Back