• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to achieve awesomely over-the-top silent movie intertitles?

Hi everyone, I'm Boullan, I'm new to this forum.

I am currently putting together a promotional trailer for a documentary I'm working on.

Since we're going for a silent movie look, we need over-the-top dramatic 1920's-style intertitles, much like in this wonderful little film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4JmeXXRmZg

I would love to hear your ideas about how best to recreate the look of those awesome intertitles (a.k.a. title cards), and specifically that wonderful kind of pulsating, flickering glow the letters get at, for example, 00:57 ("Anna -- State Scientist").

Any ideas about how to pull it off?

All help would be greatly appreciated, and I can't wait to show you all the trailer once it's done!

that wonderful kind of pulsating, flickering glow the letters get

You can do that fairly simply in After Effects. I'm sure you can even find a video tutorial at Creative Cow or Video Co-Pilot for something similar or suitable.

Guy Maddin is awesome, btw. His The Saddest Music in the World is just incredible. :cool:

Here we go! :)

Thank you both! Wonderful tips, and I'm off to a good start here. Had a graphic designer friend of mine make me a customized font, so now I'm trying to put it all all together, messing with the opacity and such. Great fun, let's see if I can make it work...!

Back