• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How should I write this scenario in order to fool the audience?

In my script, I have a scene where a character, Tyler, disguises himself as another character, Gang Member 3, by switching clothes in order to fool the villains. He also switches masks. However, I want the audience to think that Tyler is actually Gang Member 3 since he is wearing his clothes and mask. Kind of like how in The Silence of the Lambs for example:

SPOILER

Hannibal Lecter disguised himself as a cop, but the audience didn't know that and actually believed he was the cop. So should I write in my script Gang Member 3, when I actually mean Tyler, and then reveal later that Gang Member 3 is actually Tyler, and the knocked out unconscious person found later, is Gang Member 3, when he was called Tyler before?

I read the Silence of the Lambs script, and when Hannibal disguises himself, the script refers to him as 'the body'. They don't say it's Hannibal until it's visually revealed, so I should do the same thing and switch two character names around, and then say later that they were actually one another? Or will that come off as cheesy if I have to write an explanation and backtrack a bit, so the reader, will understand the reveal?

Last edited:
They don't say it's Hannibal until it's visually revealed, so I should do the same thing and switch two character names around, and then say later that they were actually one another?

Yes. Treat the screenplay reader as being a viewer to keep their interest in the story. Just remember to add the slugline to reveal the identity and not just change the names half-way through :D

Jeez dude, you're still on this?

The answer is always, do it right and they'll get it. Do it wrong and there's a good chance they won't get it. Lucky for you, you're only the writer. The understanding is in the hands of other people like the Director, editor and actors.

Back