How private do you have to keep your script for a feature length movie?

Hi, I'm currently working on (what I would like to call) a big feature film. I am not sharing the script with any actors/actresses whatsoever except the beginning details and so far they are perfectly okay with that. I am not even giving them a script to take home or to study. They will have to do all of their line studying on set.

The reason why I'm doing this is from the paranoia of my script getting leaked. I've been working very very hard on this script and I do not want to risk any of it getting out and I know that my cast members may agree with its privacy to my face, but when they get home, they'll most likely show it to their wife and their kids if I gave them the script.

I've heard that film festivals may not even screen your film if they can find any of it online. Is that true?

Thanks for the help! :)

Last edited:
Get all crew/cast who will have access to the script to sign a non share release form (not sure on the technical term).

Very rarely are you going to have an actor share a script online for lols.

Film festivals aren't worried about the script being online. What those film festivals that stipulate that mean, most of the time, is that they want a premiere, and they are not interested in a film that is people can readily watch on youtube or vimeo.

If your script is in a good place, you really shouldn't be that protective of sharing it with trusted colleagues and actors you might want in the movie. In fact, you should want to share it with them. A great script gets people excited.

I will warn you though. Unless you are making a film with all improv, you are in for a rude awakening if you try to spring dialogue on actors while on the set. You will not get the best out of them because you are not setting them up for success. Dialogue works best when the actor has at least a little time with. On set time is when the actor should be mentally and emotionally preparing, not studying new lines. You don't want to spend your takes and daylight with the actors consistently tripping over lines.

That said, it does happen that new lines are written on the day of filming, and scenes and shoot days change, but this is not ideal, it is usually to handle problems.

Hi, I'm currently working on (what I would like to call) a big feature film. I am not sharing the script with any actors/actresses whatsoever except the beginning details and so far they are perfectly okay with that. I am not even giving them a script to take home or to study. They will have to do all of their line studying on set.

The reason why I'm doing this is from the paranoia of my script getting leaked. I've been working very very hard on this script and I do not want to risk any of it getting out and I know that my cast members may agree with its privacy to my face, but when they get home, they'll most likely show it to their wife and their kids if I gave them the script.

I've heard that film festivals may not even screen your film if they can find any of it online. Is that true?

Thanks for the help! :)
Art is correct. Some festivals will not accept a movie that is currently
available on line. That has nothing to do with the script.

I have a serious question: who do you fear the script will be leaked to?
You fear it will “get out” - what do you mean? If actors showed the
script to their family how would that hurt your script?

And one last comment; you do not trust your cast to honor your request
to not show the script to their wife and kids. Why did you hire actors
you cannot trust?

I don't really understand your paranoia...

Nobody would care about a "leaked script" unless you're an established writer or filmmaker, and even then, nobody cares unless you're like one of the top 5% celebrity filmmakers.

Also, why would your actors want to leak your script in the first place? If they are acting in your project then their careers are on the line, just like yours is.

And you say your actors can't even study their lines unless they are on set? Good luck getting good performances. You're going to spend a fortune on "rehearsal time" when you should be shooting the scenes.

And finally, if you're not letting people read your script how are you getting any feedback on it?

I think there's still a way to keep it contained to a small scale without needing to be secretive with the actors. If you don't want outsiders ie the wider world to know about the screenplay then that is really simple: don't post it online.

I have to ask; how have you even managed to get a cast and crew? Why have these people signed up to a film when they don't even know what happens? What if they get to set, read the script, decide they don't like their dialogue and refuse to do it?

Don't worry about it. Give it to your cast and crew. Post it up here at IT, if you'd like some feedback.

Agree. You're being too paranoid. If I ever do direct, I want to be an actor's director. I wouldn't do that to my actors. One, I want to be professional and considerate to their needs.

Two, I want them...I want us all, to do our best work together for the sake of the project. I don't see how your approach is consistent with that.

I'll echo what everyone else has said - I'm in pre-production for my 2nd feature (shooting September & October) and I certainly given the script to the actors when I'm offering them a role.

Moonshield beat me to all the points I was gonna make.

But seriously, Tarantino has a right to worry, you don't.

Given that you're a unknown filmmaker, why do you think you have to keep your script secret? Is having it posted online suddenly going to shut your film down?

And if you tell actors they can't even read their dialogue until they get on set, you're not going to have actors to work with. Not talented ones with self-respect, anyway.

Back