How much should I charge to write a TV pilot?

A well financed friend wants to create a 1 hour pilot for a TV show. How much should I charge? I was thinking whatever fee I charge would include a certain amount of revisions? Thank you for any feedback.

Thank you for the reply. I come from a graphic design background, where I quote projects directly without an attorney, though I can understand this being a different situation. Have you ever dealt with an attorney for this sort of thing?

If this is a serious project, you would be wise to follow Alcove's advice. If you do retain an attorney, make certain s/he specializes in the entertainment industry.

If this is strictly a low-budget spec project, you obviously can charge whatever you feel your time is worth. You mentioned it's for a friend, so you might be inclined to dispense with formalities, but if nothing else, have a contract drawn up.

You can also look at the current WGA minimums for ballpark rates received by the pros.

Your attorney should be doing the negotiating with the client.

Hmmm, if you need an attorney for everything in the USA, it's no wonder economy gets slowed down. ;)
However even in The Netherlands it's sometimes useful to have a lawyer check and work on the legal parts of the agreement of larger projects.
Who is responsible for what?
Who must do which part?
What are your rights and duties?

The key questions are:
How much time do you need to invest?
How much extra costs do you have to make?
What do you need to live at your (desired) standard?

Back