• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How Many Scenes in a Standard 90 page Script?

I know there's no average number really. But AROUND what number of scenes would you say are standard for a 90 page feature length screenplay? I have mapped out 45 scenes but I did my calculations according to the pace i'm at now and it looks like I will come up short by a good 20 pages. I mean I can extend some scenes, add more scenes or whatever, just didn't know if there was any constructive criticism I could get involving this situation.

Any advice will help, thanks my peeps!:cool:

Last edited:
Are you talking about scenes or sequences? For example if a two guys are walking down the hallway, and they head into an office, then the camera angle switches from inside the office, that's two scenes. Hallway and office. Or if you are counting the whole continuity of the piece, then it's a sequence.

I wrote a script that is 100 pages about, and making little changes, and so far it's about 25 sequences.

... But AROUND what number of scenes would you say are standard for a 90 page feature length screenplay? I have mapped out 45 scenes but I did my calculations according to the pace i'm at now and it looks like I will come up short by a good 20 pages...

Any advice will help, thanks my peeps!
Well... your gut instinct is correct, there is no average or even a range.
Could be anything from 60 to 160 scenes.

What are your intentions with the final screenplay?
Writer/director or pony it around on the spec script circuit?

The metric you're using of calculating pages per scene is... fairly unique. :)
What's the story's genre?

Last edited:
Well... your gut instinct is correct, there is no average or even a range.
Could be anything from 60 to 160 scenes.

What are your intentions with the final screenplay?
Writer/director or pony it around on the spec script circuit?

The metric you're using of calculating pages per scene is... fairly unique. :)
What's the story's genre?

I'm planning on actually making/directing the movie when I get the proper funding at some point in my life haha. And the storie's genre is a straight up drama. But as far as the original topic yea I think I was more just wondering how many scenes more than sequences. Cause I know the thing about how sequences can be more than one for one scene.

Last edited:
Are you talking about scenes or sequences? For example if a two guys are walking down the hallway, and they head into an office, then the camera angle switches from inside the office, that's two scenes. Hallway and office. Or if you are counting the whole continuity of the piece, then it's a sequence.

I wrote a script that is 100 pages about, and making little changes, and so far it's about 25 sequences.

Ohh okay, maybe I have it backwards then. I have 45 sequences then. If that's what you mean

I'm sure I once read something about 30 scenes x 3mins. That gives you your 90 min. feature. Not that I do, or you should, follow this rule, just passing on something I've heard previously. Everybody else's advice is correct; don't worry about it, you'll have as many scenes as you need.

Why don't you jump on to some websites that have a bunch of scripts, skip to the last page where it says "Scene 69.. Fade out" and that'll probably answer your question.

If your next question is where? Try google, search for script sites or free scripts. There's sites that have a lot of the commercial scripts available for free. The legality of them though is a bit questionable if you ask me.

In a sense H44 is correct with the scenes/sequences/cuts/angles but in reality I would say the sequence of events is more often than not called a scene. Continue calling it a scene. I mean screenplay writing programs call it your scene heading which is the whole events occurring in that location in sequence. If that at all makes sense..

Why don't you jump on to some websites that have a bunch of scripts, skip to the last page where it says "Scene 69.. Fade out" and that'll probably answer your question.

If your next question is where? Try google, search for script sites or free scripts. There's sites that have a lot of the commercial scripts available for free. The legality of them though is a bit questionable if you ask me.
imsdb.com

... and there won't be any scripts that FADE OUT: after scene 69, or 45, or ___.

If you're going to be writer/director then don't worry about the scene or page count.
The story's the story.
Some stories are only 60mins long.

Do the characters have any backstory as to their motivations or how they got to be who they are?
Are any of the steps to achieve the drama simple? Is there any way to add complexity without LOOKING like you're intentionally fluffing/padding the story?

Frankly, is it already a 60minute story that shoulda been a 30minute story? :lol:
Would probably save your budget a fair bit right there!

The number of locations may be one or lots. The "scene" as a slice of action typically occurs in one shooting segment. This could consist of a few locations (as a montage, series of shots, continuous segment, or intercut). Typically I find that scripts have on average one slugline per page (the INT or EXT line). A short taking place in one room may have only one location/slugline for the script. Or the character(s) may move through various locations (moving from the kitchen into the dining room) as part of a dialogue/action sequence ("scene"). The terms 'scene' and 'location' are sometimes treated as the same but they are somewhat different. In the sense of your question, there are various answers.

How many 'locations' will be approximately equal to the length of the script. So 90 pages will have roughly close to 90 sluglines (locations). Some have more (action films) and some have less (dialogue intensive). Around 80 sluglines would suggest a balance between action and dialogue.

How many action sequences ("scenes") is quite variable. Though generally is there is no less than three (intro, action leading to climax, resolution). Some screenwriting 'gurus' claim that there are 51+ events (read "scenes") that need to be in a feature length movie. I'm not of that school. And like Rayw, I feel the story must come first which will dictate the number of 'scenes'/events.

I'm not really adding anything new but thought it's important to distinguish the two concepts that are sometimes used interchangeably.

The number of locations may be one or lots. The "scene" as a slice of action typically occurs in one shooting segment. This could consist of a few locations (as a montage, series of shots, continuous segment, or intercut). Typically I find that scripts have on average one slugline per page (the INT or EXT line). A short taking place in one room may have only one location/slugline for the script. Or the character(s) may move through various locations (moving from the kitchen into the dining room) as part of a dialogue/action sequence ("scene"). The terms 'scene' and 'location' are sometimes treated as the same but they are somewhat different. In the sense of your question, there are various answers.

How many 'locations' will be approximately equal to the length of the script. So 90 pages will have roughly close to 90 sluglines (locations). Some have more (action films) and some have less (dialogue intensive). Around 80 sluglines would suggest a balance between action and dialogue.

How many action sequences ("scenes") is quite variable. Though generally is there is no less than three (intro, action leading to climax, resolution). Some screenwriting 'gurus' claim that there are 51+ events (read "scenes") that need to be in a feature length movie. I'm not of that school. And like Rayw, I feel the story must come first which will dictate the number of 'scenes'/events.

I'm not really adding anything new but thought it's important to distinguish the two concepts that are sometimes used interchangeably.

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. A lot of good stuff in there :cool:

Back