How many of us always carry a cam? How do you archive?

A bit of back ground before I lead into the open questions. What is your story?

When I left High School back in 1967, I always carried a camera. Sometimes it was a compact B & H 16 mm Filmo (with turret lens & sometimes a 200' attached mag), or an 8 mm Bolex (interior 50'), later a super 8 Macrozoom Bolex (with easy load cartridge). I hitched the U.S.A. shooting everything. Empty beaches of Mid-Florida to the West Coast Scene(s) -- San Fran and L.A. -- 1968 Democratic convention @ Hyde Park. NYC scenes. Rallies & protest marches everywhere. Had fantastic footage of legendary festivals as well as individual super groups like Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Doors, Pink Floyd etc. (you could do that, then with no hassle). Thousands of stills as well. All going into the mid-1970's. Just no sound. In 1979, while locked up in storage at my north OSU apartment complex basement, Tuttle Park area suffered a major flood courtesy of the Olentangy River. The basement was flooded and everything destroyed. Had a great $$$ insurance settlement for that time, but the worth of what were on those reels...

Today, I carry either a DVcam PD100a (very small 3-chip) or a DSR 150 or a poor man's DSLR. The moment after I edit, I convert to DVD-R, (make copies for others to hold on to) and place on additional hard drives. Whether I am in Mexico (last week) or The Keys (in two weeks), Washington D.C. or even a Cleveland Browns game, I always have a camera handy. When they would not allow me into the Mayan Ruins of Tulum last week, with my camera (they called it a pro cam and said I needed a permit) I left. No camera; no me.

Am I weird? Cause over the past twenty years, my cams have accumulated so much quality archive footage (hi-8/DVcam). From the 1990's Everglades and Black Hills/Badlands of South Dakota to San Juan Capistrano to Silver Plume, CO during a major snow storm. Unfortunately no 'major' rock footage allowed these days -- but I shoot alot of new talent for free. Marches and rallies. Haunted Houses, commercial and supposedly 'real'. I dig the guerilla style, shooting quietly from the hip with no fan fare. Has become a second nature for me. LOL. Even friends have learned to tolerate it.

So. How many of us filmmakers always carry a camera? What do you carry? And what do you do with that footage after? Just asking. Or am I just weird?

I always have a still camera (pictures just pop out at you in the real world - they need capturing or they will disappear before you can share their beauty with others). Either a pocket polaroid digital cam for fast shooting, or an older Fuji DSLR which gives me more control over the image. They also allow me to capture video as well for those random moments that one needs motion for.

Today, I carry either a DVcam PD100a (very small 3-chip) or a DSR 150 or a poor man's DSLR. ?

First of all, "poor man's DSLR" is redundant. DSLR is the poor man's camera. Also, the T2i is $700 brand new, which is less than either of those DVcams cost, back when they were brand new. Tired of not being allowed into certain places with you "professional" camera? Have you considered real DSLR?

Cracker Funk, I do enjoy reading your posts. But it generally means when I write anything, that I have to explain myself further. That's okay. I know you are not anti-don, just making good comments, suggestions and asking fair questions. Following is far too much information...

My poor man's DSLR is a brand new Kodak Easy Share Z981 that I paid $180.00 (no tax and no shipping fees on the Internet) which offers 26X optical zoom at 14 MP. I bought the camera 3 weeks ago, because a friend of 40+ years was getting married and he asked me to video tape and shoot still's of his wedding, (he is a member of the poor middle class like me and well, I hate to say no on anything for friends and family). Also we were going to Mexico for a free short stay (plane and lodging) and I would never, ever shoot stills of a wedding with under 10 MPs...

If I had money, or rich friends -- I'd love a Sony EX-3 camera. If I had just a little money, I'd be very happy with a Sony HXR-NX5U. If I won the lottery (which I cannot afford to play) I'd buy several RED's and treat many of my fellow Columbus, Ohio film-maker friends to their use. LOL. I put all my spare cash (from the past few years) into an editing system that allows me to edit in 1080+ (almost all formats) but since I am a pauper, I have to settle with my current 4 DVcam cameras which I purchased new, back in the 1990's when DVcam was the 'new' technology. Yes, should have sold them when they were still worth something and could-of-should-of upgraded. But I keep very good care of all my equipment and 3-chip DVcam allows top quality on standard DVD-R/DVD replication (thus I can shoot projects for others for free or on the cheap -- just not having any luck at AFM unless I shoot in 1080 formats)... But I still shoot a lot.

Call me stupid. But I know what I have in equipment and how to work them. They continue to work well. My mistake was in taking the DSR 150 into Mexico; should have (also) taken the smaller DSR PD100a. Live and learn. I will also seek a permit in advance, as well, next year, when and if I get another free stay and roundtrip plane fare...

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride... But back to the main question. Does any one out there keep handy, digital 'film/video' camera(s) when on the go?

I have a Canon PowerShot SD630 Digital ELPH that has served me well over the years, but it is not always by my side wherever I go. I've probably missed some great photo opps (I'm sure of it) but for me, if I see through my eyes, that is enough for me. Since I do a lot of writing, "real world" moments evoke a certain mood or sentiment that isn't always easily translated though a snapshot alone.

Is a picture worth a thousand words? Perhaps. In many cases this adage is true. But that's an apples/oranges argument I suppose.

Don, as an experiment I'm going to keep my camera on hand over the next few weeks and if I snap anything that is worth sharing, I'll post here. Sound good?

Here are some pics I've captured in the past...

The only camera I always have with me is my iPhone… which, in the right conditions, can produce some pretty nice shots. I'll take my 550D out if I think there might be something worth photographing, or I'm going somewhere new, but I tend to go for the more convenient option of not taking it perhaps more often than I should. Absolutely love my Diana F+, but it does make me miss the immediacy of digital photography a little… but there's nothing better than getting back photos when you have no idea what they'll look like.

My perfect setup? By the time I'm able to afford even one of them, I'm sure the market will have moved on, but a 5D MKII for stills, a 7D for video… and an ARRI Alexa for 'proper' video. *salivates*

Back