How long have you had your gear?

What gear do you use & how long have you been using it for?

Will you ever upgrade in the near or distant future? I read great things coming soon like the RED Scarlet.

I've owned a Lowell/Omni light kit for 28 years.
The mic I currently use I bought in 1988.
Six years ago I bought a Mole/Richardson light kit (6 lights/stands)
from a gaffer who had been using them since 1975 and he got
them used.
I own several 16mm cameras from the '60's and a super8 camera
I got when I was in high school. I still use them.

I own a working Sony Hi8 camera from 1980 and a BetaCam SP that
I still use once in a while from 1987.

The only item I upgrade often is my camera. But yes, I will upgrade
whatever needs upgrading in the near or distant future.

I sure hope Scarlet is better than RED One. What a mess that camera is.

I've had my XL1s for 5 years now, it still makes pretty pictures. I'm going to shoot with that until I can afford a scarlet (or a RED one, mess or not <- pipe dream).

curious to know what bad experience you've had with the RED one Rik... I've heard nothing but positive reviews of it (aside from the "It's a camera that needs a crew, I don't know what to do with it!" kind of reviews).

I've had my Panasonic PV-GS200 3ccd camera for about 6 years, and it still works great (aside from the firewire port no longer functioning), and my HV20 for about a year. I don't intend to sell them ever, because I assume that with proper treatment they should continue to work more or less indefinitely.

The rest of my gear is not really worth mention, lots of shop lights, clamps, and a track dolly knightly & I built during the 48hr 2 years ago...

Like Knightly, I've got my eye on the RED, the scarlet is more likely than the Red One simply from a budget standpoint, however, I'm also intrigued by this recent development; the Ikonoshop A-cam dII, which is more or less a digital super16 camera with a 1920x1080 sensor that records about 15min of uncompressed footage on a 80GB memory cartridge. It's a bit of a strange design, but it's got some nifty stats and the $10k price point doesn't seem overly unreasonable. Personally I think I would choose the c-mount option as I've got a c-mount to nikon mount adapter, and several nikon lenses... so with little or no extra cost I'd already have a decent array of lens options. :)

Last edited:
Back