How Hollywood Editors Cut Trailers

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/02/19/movies/awardsseason/oscar-trailers.html?ref=movies
Dissecting a Trailer: The Parts of the Film That Make the Cut
How scenes from five of the nine best picture nominees were reassembled to promote the films.

This is amazing and so informative. Cutting trailers is such an artform in itself. One of my editor friends who has cut many great films said he will never cut his own trailer. How many times have we seen a movie based on a great trailer and find that all the best stuff was in the trailer? It takes a fresh perspective and a trained eye to peak your interest in 60seconds.

Cutting trailers is such an artform in itself. One of my editor friends who has cut many great films said he will never cut his own trailer.

Absolutely. There are film editors, TV editors, music video editors, advertising editors - and trailer editors. The two that are most closely related are advertising and trailers; they need to generate interest in a product in a short period of time.

I have this argument all the time with clients; "I'm not sound designing the film, I'm sound designing a movie trailer!" Of course I let them win their argument (eventually), but the result is far less interesting or exciting than it could be.

Of course, there is the problem that the very, very, very few who do listen to me want the entire film sound designed as if it were the trailer......

Whoah. It took me a minute to realize that if you scroll over each info-graphic, you can see a still of each individual clip. That's pretty sweet.

As far as the chronology of the clips is concerned, I think there might be a little over-analysis going on (or at least some sort of implied analysis). There are definitely patterns that trailer editors might follow, but I think you take clips from whatever part of the movie you need to, and put them wherever you want.

Back