How good are those remote control helicopter cams?

They seem to be growing in popularity for getting aerial shots, and the cams say 1080p I think. But a lot of cams say that but can still be poor quality. Bad lenses maybe? They look okay in the story, but hard to know how it will look in a finished product. So how good are they really? Would the aerial shots look close enough to the rest of the footage from a 1080p DSLR, and be enough to match, without being too distracting to the audience?

Well I should find someone to master it, or someone who knows how. I have to do a lot of acting and finding crew for future projects is easier than finding good actors. So, yes I will find someone.

Something i have seen is that many people are getting very good high quality footage by getting a parrot ar drone then doing an rc hack (it is a package and easy to do) because you get much better control on the ar drone and because the max range is around 3km! Then they attach a go pro hd camera on top becasue it is so light and then click record and off you go! Trust me these hacks (upgrades) are quite easy and require little technical skill! You find many websites which have many different hacks on them so if you search parrot ar drone hacks in google then you will find many results!
Hope That Helps
BackGardenProductions

I know a guy who put over 20k in to an Octo-copter. It was built using software and kit parts available online. But machining, electronics & programming skills are a must. It's was very impressive. Remote head, gyro-stablized, and broadcasting an HD signal to a pair of LCD glasses (Whats the proper word for these?).

He flew his 5D on a very windy day, and the thing would hover in place all on its own. The most impressive parts was when he turned off his remote, and the Octo-copter returned to us all on it's own, descended to about 10', hovered for a minute, and landed.

The last I head, they were off to LA marketing a much larger version that could carry cine cameras.

We're actually using an Octorotor with a 5D mk3 mounted to it to get several shots for our upcoming feature. If you find someone who truly knows about flying one of these rigs (with a sweet gyroscope on them to hold the camera steady), and also understands cinematography/photography, you can do some incredible things with these setups.

Back