How does this film school compare?

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee.

It's not as amazing as USC and UCLA i believe but it seems good enough.

I'm planning on moving to L.A. after college anyways.

Are jobs out there sick of hearing, "i went to USC / UCLA?"

UWM a good place?

I need help ASAP.

Didn't you ask this already? Unfortunately, though the members of this forum tend to be very helpful, this might be a question that we don't know how to answer. With a couple exceptions, I think the vast majority of people on this forum attended film school at the University of Hard Knocks. That is to say, of course, most of us are self-taught.

You know, you can ask the students, directly. Contact the film school, and they would very likely put you in contact with current and former students, gladly.

each film school has a different reputation, but they do all teach you similar things. I attend the film school at TCU and while it's not the world renown NYU film school or USC I have learned a lot while I have been here.

you will get from film what you put into it. If you Like UWM then go there. LA is a touch place, but if you know what you are talking about and what you are doing someone will likely take a chance on you.

currently going to CSUMB....which stands for California State University Monterey Bay, not the greatest film school, but I am happy with everything and learning many valuable aspects, and history of film. I have no plans set in stone for what I will do after I graduate but, I would like to attend a Graduate Program in LA somewhere. So it does not really matter where you go, it matters if you enjoy what your learning and try to create goals and meet those goals and see where it takes you. This is my second semester with Film classes and I really enjoy it. I am a complete noob with alot of on hands or experience in the movie making process but I am getting there and soaking it all in, asking my instructors alot of questions and volunteering to help seniors with their capstone projects.

So just go to UMW and soak it all in, then like you said after maybe move to LA and give that a shot. Knowledge is Knowledge wherever you get it does not matter.

currently going to CSUMB....which stands for California State University Monterey Bay, not the greatest film school, but I am happy with everything and learning many valuable aspects, and history of film. I have no plans set in stone for what I will do after I graduate but, I would like to attend a Graduate Program in LA somewhere. So it does not really matter where you go, it matters if you enjoy what your learning and try to create goals and meet those goals and see where it takes you. This is my second semester with Film classes and I really enjoy it. I am a complete noob with alot of on hands or experience in the movie making process but I am getting there and soaking it all in, asking my instructors alot of questions and volunteering to help seniors with their capstone projects.

So just go to UMW and soak it all in, then like you said after maybe move to LA and give that a shot. Knowledge is Knowledge wherever you get it does not matter.

great points.

Well, I'll chime in here. I have had several friends go to and graduate from UWM. It really is going to depend on what you want to learn, as has been written here. UWM is a school with out of date equipment and teachers that believe in art more then narrative. Which means if your trying to break into Hollywood, you will be frowned upon.

Also, many people ask "Why go to film school in LA? Why even go at all?" Well, I can give you a few pointers from people I know who are making it in LA and then others who are making it in Milwaukee. The reason film school is so great in LA and NYC is because that is where the connections are. Those schools bring in industry professionals to talk to the students and it is far easier to get noticed when everyone you want to notice you is within a few hundred yards and not a few thousand miles. Now I have several friends who went to UWM and are working in the industry. But they aren't working in movies. They are doing small commercials, industrial, and web stuff.

It isn't to say that they can't be seen but when the people out in LA are looking for a DP, they aren't going to look at someone in Milwaukee, WI. They are going to surf for local DP's. Now you say you are going to move out there when you graduate. You have to understand that it is very difficult out there. There are several people who just graduated in LA and have made contacts through their university. So not only are you going out there with no contacts, your also going out there competing against everyone who just graduated with contacts.

So is it a good school? Yeah for a degree. You'll be able to say you have a degree in film. However, much of the teaching isn't practical, the equipment is very outdated, and they frown very much on narrative style and the "Hollywood" way. But even with all that you can still make a career out of that degree here in Wisconsin, several friends of mine have done it. So there is a give and take. Hopefully something here helps you.

Well, I'll chime in here. I have had several friends go to and graduate from UWM. It really is going to depend on what you want to learn, as has been written here. UWM is a school with out of date equipment and teachers that believe in art more then narrative. Which means if your trying to break into Hollywood, you will be frowned upon.

Also, many people ask "Why go to film school in LA? Why even go at all?" Well, I can give you a few pointers from people I know who are making it in LA and then others who are making it in Milwaukee. The reason film school is so great in LA and NYC is because that is where the connections are. Those schools bring in industry professionals to talk to the students and it is far easier to get noticed when everyone you want to notice you is within a few hundred yards and not a few thousand miles. Now I have several friends who went to UWM and are working in the industry. But they aren't working in movies. They are doing small commercials, industrial, and web stuff.

It isn't to say that they can't be seen but when the people out in LA are looking for a DP, they aren't going to look at someone in Milwaukee, WI. They are going to surf for local DP's. Now you say you are going to move out there when you graduate. You have to understand that it is very difficult out there. There are several people who just graduated in LA and have made contacts through their university. So not only are you going out there with no contacts, your also going out there competing against everyone who just graduated with contacts.

So is it a good school? Yeah for a degree. You'll be able to say you have a degree in film. However, much of the teaching isn't practical, the equipment is very outdated, and they frown very much on narrative style and the "Hollywood" way. But even with all that you can still make a career out of that degree here in Wisconsin, several friends of mine have done it. So there is a give and take. Hopefully something here helps you.

that was quite helpful.
thanks.
still looking around though.

Back