How does a Zoom H2 work?

I purchased a Kodak Zi8 with a tripod and extra batteries and me and my friends want to make low budget friendly videos. So sound is a big issue and I chose the Zi8 because it supported external microphones.

How does it work? The Zoom has 2 jacks, 1 input and 1 output. If I connect the output jack to my camera, does that mean that the sound will be part of the video or will it be a separate file that I will have to manually sync in my video editor?

I purchased a Kodak Zi8 with a tripod and extra batteries and me and my friends want to make low budget friendly videos. So sound is a big issue and I chose the Zi8 because it supported external microphones.

How does it work? The Zoom has 2 jacks, 1 input and 1 output. If I connect the output jack to my camera, does that mean that the sound will be part of the video or will it be a separate file that I will have to manually sync in my video editor?

The Zoom H2 is a recorder, so you generally wouldn't hook it up to your camera. You would record the audio separately on the Zoom and then sync it in post. Do you intend to record your audio onto the H2 without a microphone?

Yes, you can connect the output of the H2 to the Zi8, but why would you want to? The audio quality of the camera would be far inferior, and you would have no way of monitoring the audio since would be using the combo audio/mic out of the H2 to send to the camera.

Sorry, now I'm really confused.

The Kodak Zi8 records video and audio. The Zoom H2 records audio. If I hook them up, won't the Kodak Zi8 simply use the Zoom H2 as an audio source instead of it's own camera?

So why should I use the Zoom H2 by itself from the camera?

You were the one who proposed connecting the H2 to the Zi8.

If I connect the output jack to my camera, does that mean that the sound will be part of the video or will it be a separate file that I will have to manually sync in my video editor?

I said:

Yes, you can connect the output of the H2 to the Zi8, but why would you want to? The audio quality of the camera would be far inferior, and you would have no way of monitoring the audio since would be using the combo audio/mic out of the H2 to send to the camera.

Instead of the H2 you should get a Rode Video Mic, make a DIY boom-pole and record your audio properly. If you already have the H2 use it separately from the camera; as with a proper mic, get it in as close to the talent as possible. Yes, you'll have to sync the audio (you can use the camera audio for easy sync) but it will be better than the camera audio.

You get professional sound by using professional gear and using professional techniques. Of the two technique is the most important.

I'll assume that you mean the Rode VideoMic or the Rode VMP. There are quite a few cheap recorders out there that will accept a mini-pin jack. There is not really much difference between them in the under $250 range, so I would go with a name brand like Tascam, Alesis, Roland, Korg or Sony (I'm not very partial to Zoom, although many are).

The key to good sound is very simple yet very difficult:

1. Getting the mic as close in to the talent as the framing of the shot allows.

2. Keeping the mic aimed at the actor that is speaking.

3. Clean, non-distorted volume levels.

A great boom-op is worth his/her weight in gold; s/he has to accomplish the first two holding a boom-pole overhead for hours at a time while silently dodging cables, lights, props and crew without getting the mic into the frame or casting shadows. If you want an idea of how truly difficult it is put your camera at the end of a boom pole and, without actually seeing what is being shot, keep the camera aimed at the mouths of your actors without shaking the camera.

Back