How do you market/advertise yourself as a Freelancer?

I'm considering becoming self-employed and work as a Freelance Videographer. This is new to me and I do have a lot of questions about it, but I suppose the most important one is this: once you've started an independent business how do you advertise yourself, or let potential clients know about you and the services you provide? Thank you.

Facebook and other social media.

Attend indie film festivals (don't forget your business cards).

Bid on various jobs from sites like Mandy, etc.

Participate on forums like IndieTalk.

Post your business on every film site you can find.

Attend every meet & greet you can.

That's just a start. You'll find that marketing/advertising will take as much, if not more, of your time than doing what you actually do.

Once you're well established it takes a little bit less effort, but you still have to keep up on it all the time. That's the part I hate the most, doing the business part of the business (taxes, budgets/bills, marketing, upgrades and maintenance, etc., etc., etc.).

@Alcove: although you gave a 'how to' reply, the OP has not stated in what market he wants to operate.
'Videographer' sounds more like he's looking for corporate or private clients than looking to produce (independant) films.

@OP:
Be where your potential clients are, whether IRL or online: if you know where they come, what media they use and which words they use to search the web, you can work on getting noticed/found there.
Make sure you can show what you have to offer and that you can explain your added value.

@Alcove: although you gave a 'how to' reply, the OP has not stated in what market he wants to operate.
'Videographer' sounds more like he's looking for corporate or private clients than looking to produce (independant) films.

When you're starting out you take just about anything you can get to build your contacts, resume and reel.

Back