How do you handle RAW?

So let's say in Jan 2015, purely hypothetically, I buy myself a Blackmagic.

Great, but how the h"ll do I handle RAW? Sure, I buy a load of SSD cards, a lens, viewfinder etc... and find myself dealing with RAW.

Firstly, I need an external hard drive of around 8 terabytes as my lowly 2 TB hard drive won't make it. Then, how the h"ll do I edit in RAW? Let's presume I buy Adobe Premier (I'm in FCP7.03 at the mo), how do I even begin to handle RAW files?

Does anyone have any experience of this?

I don't know what specs are needed to handle RAW natively, and couldn't guess at how that might change in two year's time.

However, you'd be able to do what's done now - use lo-resolution intermediaries, or codec-friendly intermediaries, for the actual editing. All done with the edit? Switch out the footage for the real deal on the final export, and let all the hard rendering just happen at that stage.

You can save on harddrive space by not archiving terrible takes, btw. Why keep footage you'll never use? :bag:

Who knows what will be around in 2015?

What generally happens now is you take your raw files and transcode them to a lower-quality intermediary formats like ProRes or DNxHD. Sometimes, productions leave 'log-like' gamma curves in these, and then just use these to grade from. Usually though, you do your final edit, export an EDL or XML for the online, and then it all gets linked up to the raw files in the online, similar to how film was/is edited.

Great, but how the h"ll do I handle RAW? Sure, I buy a load of SSD cards, a lens, viewfinder etc... and find myself dealing with RAW.

Firstly, I need an external hard drive of around 8 terabytes as my lowly 2 TB hard drive won't make it. Then, how the h"ll do I edit in RAW? Let's presume I buy Adobe Premier (I'm in FCP7.03 at the mo), how do I even begin to handle RAW files?

What Jax said is correct. The why is due to data transfer rates. Your external hard drive is unlikely to be able to keep up with the speed needed to play back the raw footage at full speed. To have a chance to keep up, you'd need a raid of multiple drives and a rather beefy computer and video card.

To have a chance to keep up, you'd need a raid of multiple drives and a rather beefy computer and video card.

RED generally recommend their RED Rocket card to deal with raw natively, which is (IIRC) ~$4,000.

Also...
'raw' is an adjective, not a noun so should technically be stylised as raw (rather than RAW or Raw) just like any other word ;)

Back