• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you get a "color tinted" look in Premiere Pro?

Perhaps I need better color grading software, but is it possible to get a color tinted look, like an old black and white film or some silent films you see. What I mean is, looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSaC-l7B35w

If you fast forward to 0:39 into the video, you see what I mean by "Color tinted", as I was told it was called.

I tried turning the footage into black and white, and then changing the 'hue' wheels and three way color wheels, but nothing changes, if it's in B & W. I also tried 'tint', but that is doing something else to the image, that is not related to color. Is their a way to color tint, B & W footage? I googled it, but all the tutorials and instructions talk about tinting footage that is already in color and cannot find how to color tint, like the style in the video example.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Don't quote me as I've never tried this before, but from a first estimate it looks like the red channel has been desaturated a lot and shifted to yellow while the others have been desatureated 100%.

There are always multiple ways to achieve an effect in color grading.

If you desaturate the image to B&W using one effect and then add a second effect (ie colour wheels) you can use those wheels to then 'tint' the colour. Alternatively you could just use a Sepia Tone effect which I'm pretty sure Premiere Pro already has built in (Lumetri Looks: Sepia)

Turning the hue wheel changes how the color shifts in the images.
If it's black & white there is no color to shift.

If I remember correctly (not that I'm that old) colored films where creating by watercoloring black and white celluloid. The same effect could be created by old school rotoscoping. (Not the effects in AE, but painting color into the frame.)
That would mean you would export the video as a sequence of tiffs and add a layer in photoshop to paint a color in every frame. This tradition approach is a lot of handwork.

The example you show is just 1 overal color. It look to me they just used 2 different kinds of celloloid.
Turn down saturation and use color balance.
Or download color vibrance on videocopilot to add a tint and change the saturation.
Sepia used to be a standard effect in Premiere Pro: so, it looks like you are overcomplicating again and I added too much info to complicate it even further.

Last edited:
Okay thanks, but I do not want 'sepia'. I would like other colors. I already knew about the sepia effect, but it is not the color I want for every scene. I want more blue-ish and gold-ish looks for some scenes.

I already accomplished it in photoshop will still pictures and it looks superb, and looks exactly like that film look, with some tweaking, but I cannot get that in Premiere Pro, with the color wheels, even as a separate effect done after, unless I am doing it wrong. Photoshop has a feature, where when you switch the photo to black and white, it asks if you if you want to color tint it and then gives you a selection of which color, plus how much saturation you want to add to it. Is their a way of doing it, without having to do every frame separately in photoshop?

I tried WalterB's suggestion turn it to black and white, and use 'color balance', instead of hue. It works, and it does at a color tint, however, it does not give the same color tinted look that it does in photoshop, and just does not look near as crisp, something is off. Is their a way to control how much saturation is going into the color tint, when using the 'color balance'? Not sure if that will fix the issue, but photoshop gives that option which helps get closer to the look. Doing it this way also adds a heck of a lot of noise too, in video format, compared to photoshop. I also cannot get a gold look on color balance cause I only have red, green, and blue to play with but no yellow, like in photoshop, so it cause out more of a dirty green-ish gold.

Last edited:
If you want to adjust the amount of saturation in the colour tint perhaps you could apply it as an adjustment layer and use the opacity to dial in how much you want?

Okay thanks. Actually opacity just seems to control the brightness and contrast of the tint, not the actual saturation. However, if I add fast color corrector, as as separate effect afterward, then use the saturation in that feature, then it works! The image has a crapload of noise from doing this though. In the future, would it be better to shoot black and white in camera, with some tint already applied to avoid so much noise in post, since not near as much is being altered? I prefer to shoot in regular color in case I change my mind, but is their a way to avoid so much noise?

copy your clip and paste it in the next layer up, directly over the clip below

go to effects>channel>solid composite and drag it onto your upper clip

pick your color, change blend mode to multiply and mess around with the opacity?

or just use a sepia effect, available on literally every NLE platform i can think of

copy your clip and paste it in the next layer up, directly over the clip below

go to effects>channel>solid composite and drag it onto your upper clip

pick your color, change blend mode to multiply and mess around with the opacity?

or just use a sepia effect, available on literally every NLE platform i can think of

We seem to be getting closer. I definitely agree and think that playing around with your blend modes on a copy of the clip will get some good results.

Okay thanks, but when I do it that way, using opacity, it does not look natural, and the whole image looks faded. It does not give that natural color tinted look, unless I am doing it wrong.

If I take the fading down, with opacity, the color saturation goes down too, and there is not enough blue then.

Last edited:
Okay thanks, but that is not quite the look I am going for. I do not want sepia! I want other colors as well, but more saturated than the examples given. That example is only good for getting a certain look, where I want to branch out my options more. The only reason why I used the sepia look as an example, is cause I could not find any other color tinted examples on youtube, but there are much more options out there, that are much more saturated than The Birth of a Nation, that I want.

I have gotten to close tot he look I want, using this method. I desaturate the footage into black and white. I then change the color balance, until it has the color I want. But the saturation is not high enough yet, so I add another saturation effect, and turn the saturation up until it looks like how I want. However, doing it using these three steps adds a lot of noise.

turn it to black and white, and use 'color balance', instead of hue. It works, and it does at a color tint, however, it does not give the same color tinted look that it does in photoshop, and just does not look near as crisp, something is off.

Reset and start again.

Is their a way to control how much saturation is going into the color tint, when using the 'color balance'?

It's "there" and yes there is. RTFM/GIYF.

I also cannot get a gold look on color balance cause I only have red, green, and blue to play with but no yellow, like in photoshop, so it cause out more of a dirty green-ish gold.

I find myself between wanting to hit my head upon the desk and laugh at you.

You have a color wheel. The color wheel contains all the colors. You just need to know what you're doing. Remember what combination of colors in what ratio (remember this is light, not paint) combination makes the color you want when in combination with the image in front of you.

Doing it this way also adds a heck of a lot of noise too, in video format, compared to photoshop.

If it's the same image in different programs, it's usually the operator (especially since it's in the same software family). Choose the right tools. Use them well.

Okay thanks. Well I got the look I want, and figured it out. Only problem is, is that there is a lot of noise that comes with it. Is their any way to get color tinted looks without extra noise, or is that not possible with digital grading?

Also, just as an FYI on this topic, if you intend for the final product to be B&W you need to do a LOT of things while you are shooting the footage. The way you light, the colors you use in set dressing and costumes, many factors to think about during the whole process to get B&W to really pop and look good.

Not sure if the same filter is in Premier, But in After Effects the "Hue/Saturation" filter under 'Effect > Color Correction' will do what you want. There's a checkbox for 'Colorize' - once that's checked the entire image will take on the color you have selected in the Hue vlaue, and you can dial the amount of color up or down with the saturation control.

Okay thanks. Well I got the look I want, and figured it out. Only problem is, is that there is a lot of noise that comes with it. Is their any way to get color tinted looks without extra noise, or is that not possible with digital grading?

Noise of artifacts?

If it's artifacts, it's usually due to errors in capturing the image (via clipping) then pushing the image to retrieve information that no longer exists.

If you mean noise, then you'll have to be more specific to what you mean. AFAIK grading won't introduce noise. It's either there in the image to start with or not.... That's assuming you're not intentionally applying an effect that causes noise and then complaining about it.

Back