• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you frame shots for 2.35:1 aspect ratio on a 7D?

But how do you establish those lines? How do you figure out what your top and bottom is?

It would be an approximation with a 7D. The best I can explain is this: for that aspect ratio, divide 1920 by 2.35 which gives you 817, so your image size will be 1920 X 817. It's approximately 1/4 less vertical height than 1080. So, approximate (subtract) about 1/8th off both the top and bottom the best you can. 2.35 will actually be a tad smaller than this, so keep a safety zone in your mind while shooting.

I'm sure there are more ways to do it.

It would be an approximation with a 7D. The best I can explain is this: for that aspect ratio, divide 1920 by 2.35 which gives you 817, so your image size will be 1920 X 817. It's approximately 1/4 less vertical height than 1080. So, approximate (subtract) about 1/8th off both the top and bottom the best you can. 2.35 will actually be a tad smaller than this, so keep a safety zone in your mind while shooting.

I'm sure there are more ways to do it.

Any thoughts of a more precise method? hmmm. :huh:

One idea: With your 7D on a tripod, point it at a 16:9 monitor that is displaying a 2.35:1 letterbox at full screen. Zoom in until what you see in your 7D's LCD screen matches the monitor. Use that as a guide to place the tape.

Not as exact as having the ML in-camera guides, but should get you really close.

Another kind of convoluted way of doing it would be to put it on sticks, shoot something with landmarks on it, remove card without moving camera, drop in NLE and crop 2.35, turn the camera back on and compare that to what the camera shows.

Load a JPG with 2.35 marks onto you memory card at the same res your camera takes images and numbered exactly like you camera numbers it, preview the JPG and there ya go.

Need a card reader for it, as your camera probably won't let you transfer files to it, but a card reader should.

Measure the width of the lcd, divide by 2.35
Subtract the result from the height of the lcd
Divide by two and mark off that amount from the top and bottom of the lcd.

Load a JPG with 2.35 marks onto you memory card at the same res your camera takes images and numbered exactly like you camera numbers it, preview the JPG and there ya go.

Need a card reader for it, as your camera probably won't let you transfer files to it, but a card reader should.

I was trying to do this method but I couldn't get the images to load onto my camera. If I make it the same resolution as photo it should work?

Back