How do you benchmark films?

Hi,
Was skimming different conversations here, but could find any with this topic. So, here I go?

Problem: one thing I constantly face is where to get inspiration for storyboards. I might be searching for "that" particular take I vaguely remember from a film I've seen.. and never find it.

Solution: Well.. this is what I'm asking. How do you store your favorite moments for future inspiration?

I was thinking to use iCloud where I could store clips recorded via phone or laptop.

i'd start by keeping a bookmarked google doc labeled "film inspiration" and just drop in movie titles and URLs with the appropriate notation (i.e. "Indiana Jones - slow push at 23:55-24:08")

You can store photos, audio, video, text, links, voice memos, whatever in OneNote - very handy for pulling info together. It's on mac, pc, WinPhones & ios smartphones, and tablets of all persuasions. Set it to sync with your cloud service, sure. :)

Thanks guys for the tips! Do you do any similar benchmarking / mapping for you projects? How do you remember thing that got you excited?

I read that e.g. Tarantino takes detailed notes on every film he sees. If you think about the scale of movies he is watching, there must a system or the guy have to have a photographic memory!

i'd start by keeping a bookmarked google doc labeled "film inspiration" and just drop in movie titles and URLs with the appropriate notation (i.e. "Indiana Jones - slow push at 23:55-24:08")

This would be great, but I can't store all entire movies I watch. Also having it already cut to suit the purpose would make browsing fast.

You can store photos, audio, video, text, links, voice memos, whatever in OneNote - very handy for pulling info together. It's on mac, pc, WinPhones & ios smartphones, and tablets of all persuasions. Set it to sync with your cloud service, sure. :)

This looks good. Have to take a look as the quality doesn't matter. It's just to communicate the idea..

Benckmark has a different meaning in the business world. It means who do you compare yourself with in the industry? And, by that, I go by film budget.

But, if you mean where do you keep your inspiration in the film business, in a scrap book, on external hard drives, and hard copies from prints.

And for research films, I have an enormous collection of VHS tapes, DVDs, and Blu-rays on TV series and movies.

Last edited:
Back