How Do Stabilizers Work?

Hi, about a month ago I bought a cheap stabilizer for my DSLR. But after (I think) balancing it, it still moves around on it's own when I move unless I guide the camera with my other hand. Is this how stabilizers work, is my other hand supposed to lightly guide the camera in the direction that I want it to go or should it just move with me? Here is a link to the one I bought: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Grad...962112?hash=item2ca59b0940:g:aSwAAOSwNgxWEjCj

I know, not a great quality or well known one. It was all I could afford.

Sounds either like it's not balanced properly, or it's a cheapo deal that just won't ever quite balance properly..

My money's on the former, but it could easily be the latter.

Yes, Glidecam-type stabilizers require two hands to operate properly. I use my strong arm to support the device with the handle attached to the gimbal, then use my other hand to ever so lightly pinch the center post continuously up near the gimbal. The constant pinching, or tapping allows me to have total control over the rig without any sudden jarring motion. Check out some of Devin Graham's tutorials and watch what he does. He likes to do the tapping further down the post, but I find it introduces unwanted motion for me.

Back