How do people do it?

I'm pretty new to the indie film scene. I've written a script for a feature length indie horror film. I was looking into getting a literary agent to shop the script around, but pretty much everyone I looked at require referrals from established industry veterans. I don't know any.

So I thought to myself: OK. I'll make the film myself. The script is pretty low-scale and would probably only take a few thousand dollars to produce. I have access to most of the locations for free and know some people active in the local theater that would appear in it for little to no pay. Most of the cost would be the camera, lighting, etc.

I would probably need to take out a small loan to help fund the film, but once it's finished what do I do with it? I don't know anyone in the industry who would be able to refer me to any small distributors so I would probably end up having to distribute it myself.

But even the I don't know if anyone would even see it. I don't really have enough money to be able to advertise it.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to be able to get my film seen?

Last edited:
It can get picked through a festival appearance if it's better than the other.
That's why people make shorts to know that they have the skills before they
grab the feature horns.

For no/low budget you will find that your biggest costs (well mine where)
1. Camera
2. Audio
3. Software (you can get this cheap but if you have a lot of special effects $ saved will cost time).

I got lights pretty cheap, but I can see a lot of money spent on them if your trying to light a large dark area (especially outdoors).

Filman is right, start with a few shorts, practice and hon your skills before you try to tackle a feature. First it will give you some "street creed" when you try to source actors for the larger film (think about it, would you dedicate an entire summer months of weekends to some guy who has never made a film before?).

Another though (and this too is a bit of a long shot) but see if any local independent filmmakers are looking for a script. Don't just send your script to them, ask first, many will say no but if one says yes then that saves you a lot of anguish and time.

For no/low budget you will find that your biggest costs (well mine where)
1. Camera
2. Audio
3. Software (you can get this cheap but if you have a lot of special effects $ saved will cost time).

I got lights pretty cheap, but I can see a lot of money spent on them if your trying to light a large dark area (especially outdoors).

Filman is right, start with a few shorts, practice and hon your skills before you try to tackle a feature. First it will give you some "street creed" when you try to source actors for the larger film (think about it, would you dedicate an entire summer months of weekends to some guy who has never made a film before?).

Another though (and this too is a bit of a long shot) but see if any local independent filmmakers are looking for a script. Don't just send your script to them, ask first, many will say no but if one says yes then that saves you a lot of anguish and time.

I agree with this :) My camera cost just over 100.00. Even if you can't afford big software, you can get Adobe Premiere Elements for 100 or so dollars (also if you have Windows, I believe they come with moviemaker-mine does anyway :)). For lighting, I use daylight bulbs and old lamps-cheap, but effective! I'm on the verge of picking up a decent microphone under 100.00. Just about anything can be better for Audio than the camera mic. My one favoring thing so far is I make movies with masked characters, so dubbing post isn't a problem.

Film short, as said, gets your feet wet and you'll find out what your strengths and areas of improvement are: I am good at editing, and I can work a camera, I'm starting to become a little more saavy about lighting, but audio I am still working on :)

I agree with this :) My camera cost just over 100.00. Even if you can't afford big software, you can get Adobe Premiere Elements for 100 or so dollars (also if you have Windows, I believe they come with moviemaker-mine does anyway :)). For lighting, I use daylight bulbs and old lamps-cheap, but effective! I'm on the verge of picking up a decent microphone under 100.00. Just about anything can be better for Audio than the camera mic. My one favoring thing so far is I make movies with masked characters, so dubbing post isn't a problem.

Film short, as said, gets your feet wet and you'll find out what your strengths and areas of improvement are: I am good at editing, and I can work a camera, I'm starting to become a little more saavy about lighting, but audio I am still working on :)

I'll also add this, don't be afraid to work on other's movies (I did work on plays before I moved to movies), its great experience and you can make mistakes on their dime [did not just say that, dum de dum :rolleyes:].

I'll also add this, don't be afraid to work on other's movies (I did work on plays before I moved to movies), its great experience and you can make mistakes on their dime [did not just say that, dum de dum :rolleyes:].

Also, look for unique opportunities: check your local sports team, maybe you can film games, do highlight reels. I know someone who works for the local Jr hockey team, they get the footage from the previous games and edit them into "pregame" videos. Wherever you can get the experience, do it, it all adds up :)

Thanks Graeme, I'll remember that when I need you.....to help me with a film.....;) (Seriously, I think you'd do a great job :))

Going back to your original questions, you don't have to know anyone in order to get it distributed...once it's filmed, if it's any good, you can approach distribution companies with it and be in a much stronger position than if you needed their money up front to film with. Better still, get a sales agent on board (either in pre-production if you can find one that likes the script, or afterwards when you can show them a finished film), and they'll take it to distributors for you. If you don't get any bites sending your film in cold to sales agents or distributors, then take it to some film festivals...if you win something, then you've hit the jackpot and it will be a great selling tool, but even if you don't someone might see it and pick it up anyway.

The question really is, how sure are you both in your script and in your ability to see an entire production through from start to finish? It's a bigger project than most people realise before they begin, and you don't want to end up in debt with nothing to show for it. Perhaps you should approach some local production companies with your script for collaboration...so you let them use it for free, but if they make any money out of it then you receive such and such profits? No risk on your part this way, and you could ask to direct or co-produce it alongside them.

You need to treat this like you would with any upstart company. I suggest a great script, a business plan, a management team and investors.

In other words, get very creative. But the best part is, you can make your movie anywhere and with new methods in distribution, you can reach a global audience and get some ROI. . .

Welcome to the game!

Back