How do I submit a film to Netflix?

We've written to the email on the Netflix site, but they don't respond. Anyone know how to actually get them on the phone and see if they'll carry our DVD? They have a customer service 800 number, but I'm looking for something a little more specific.

Sorry Mad, it seems like it's pretty hard to get your flick on Netflixs, I would say just keep on writting to them until the respond. Good Luck with that.

I haven't done a lot of research n NetFlix. But I don't think they buy films from individual producer/movie makers.

You'll need to have your movie picked up by a distributor who has a deal with NetFlix.

But to get a real answer (not speculation like mine) you want to call their corporate office, not customer service.

This was in todays (Nov 29) LA Times

Independent Course Taken by Netflix

Internet rental service enters into deal with art-house filmmakers to carry their movies.
By Lorenza Muñoz, Times Staff Writer

Seeking to broaden its hold on folks who want to watch art-house films in the comfort of their own homes, Netflix Inc. has forged an unusual alliance with a group representing thousands of independent filmmakers hungry for wider exposure.

Under an agreement expected to be made public today , the largest online purveyor of DVD rentals would partner with the nonprofit Independent Feature Project/Los Angeles, making available to its 9,000 members all movies nominated for the Independent Spirit Awards, the offbeat alternative to the Oscars.

The cable-televised awards show, which for years has been hosted by the acerbic, pencil-mustached director John Waters, is taped the day before the Academy Awards show and is a magnet for cinephiles.

"A disproportionate number of our members are independent film fans," said Ted Sarandos, Netflix's chief content officer, explaining why Netflix sought to partner with IFP.

Although only IFP members will be able to access the films nominated for Spirit Awards, Sarandos predicted that the alliance would give Netflix an edge with sophisticated, high-income customers.

The company needs all the help it can get. With more than 2 million subscribers, it has struggled to compete with large retail chains such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Best Buy Co., which sell DVDs for discounted prices.

In recent months, Netflix's stock has plunged 41%, in part because of speculation that Amazon.com Inc. would enter the rental business. To better compete with the rental industry leader, Blockbuster Inc., Netflix recently reduced its monthly fee to $17.99.

Overall, Netflix controls only 8% to 9% of the DVD rental market. But the company accounts for one-third to one-half of all rentals of "indie" and low-budget movies. According to Sarandos, the Netflix executive, specialized films often outperform mainstream studio movies rented via the service.

For example, 1 in 4 Netflix subscribers have rented "The House of Sand and Fog," the critically acclaimed drama that made little at the box office. The New Zealand film "Whale Rider," whose young star Keisha Castle-Hughes earned an Oscar nomination but whose ticket sales totaled about $20 million, has been rented on Netflix more than either "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" or "The Hulk."

For the IFP, striking a deal with Netflix will solve an enduring problem: the inability of many filmmakers to get their movies into the hands of the people who vote on the Spirit Awards.

Unlike films that are nominated for Academy Awards, most of which are backed by the deep pockets of a major studio, many Spirit Awards contenders are made on a shoestring. Directors often lack the resources to finish their films, let alone duplicate and distribute them.

"Many of the filmmakers couldn't possibly afford to make one DVD copy, never mind 9,000," said Dawn Hudson, executive director of IFP/Los Angeles, adding that in the past, voting members watched nominated movies at the IFP's film library, at screenings or not at all.

"It was not a level playing field," Hudson said.

But this year, IFP members will access the nominated films through a special page on Netflix's website, punching in a code to order DVDs free of charge. Netflix will pay to make DVDs of the films that have not yet been acquired by distributors — usually about 25% of the nominees. The company will pick up the cost of mailing those DVDs to IFP members.

The only movies that IFP members will be unable to access free will be those still being shown in theaters.

The DVDs will not be watermarked to prevent piracy, but Netflix will keep track of who requests what films and will require all copies to be returned.

Netflix executives hope by catering to the art-movie crowd, their company will attract a larger cross-section of movie fans who are suffering from blockbuster fatigue.

"More homogenized product has driven people to services like [ours]," said Netflix's Sarandos. A bonus for the company, he said, will come if the IFP's 9,000 members become paying customers after temporarily enjoying Netflix free.

"That," he said, "would be a nice windfall."

Will Vincent said:
Here's the corporate office contact info:

Netflix Inc.
970 University Ave.
Los Gatos, CA 95032

Cool. That's what I was looking for.

I've had other folks tell me that Netflix will only deal with distributors. Discouraging.

Mike: you might want to check with blockbuster too.. since they've set up their mail-order rental thing to compete with netflix, and they have probably a larger funding stick to swing than the netflix folks.. ;)

To submit a film to Netflix, you can inquire by email:

content@netflix.com

That's all the info about it on the website.

There's a funny (or not so funny if you're me) story attached to me finding this email adress. My Credit/Debit Card expired in Nov. My bank forgot to send me out a new one until I called them. So my old card expired and Netflix cancelled my account. Well when I got the new card in earlier this week, I reopened my account. Everythings good, right? Wrong! They charged the three DVDs I had out as full purchases (i.e. $21.65 a piece - 60 smackaroonies). I was on the Netflix site for an hour today looking for a customer service email adress. I found about 20 orther adresses before I finally found the Contact Customer Service page. I would say that, coupled with the warningless charges of the DVDs to my account, constitutes as bad coustomer service.

Poke

My Credit/Debit Card expired in Nov. My bank forgot to send me out a new one until I called them. So my old card expired and Netflix cancelled my account. Well when I got the new card in earlier this week, I reopened my account. Everythings good, right? Wrong! They charged the three DVDs I had out as full purchases (i.e. $21.65 a piece - 60 smackaroonies)
The next time something like this happens just up the experation date by some years. The bank is going to use the same account number(unless of course you also changed accounts) so you already have all the info you need for the new card. I happen to know that my bank renews their cards for four years so I was able to update my netflix account prior to recieving my new card

But this also works with other peoples cards. I work part time in a pizza place and we take credit numbers over the phone. These numbers are stored in the system and sometimes the experation dates aren't updated. We have to manually authorize each purchase and I discovered that the experation date doesn't matter as long as it is after the current date. I have literally made up experation dates. Keep the month change the year. It will authorize. Go figure.

Just as an aside I can't understand why some people are still so paranoid about using credit cards on the internet. I have been working in the food industry for far too many years and I can't begin to tell you how careless people are with their cards.

While discussing credit cards is interesting, I'm much more curious about what happened when Mike called them.

How about an update, Mike. What is their policy towards independent movies without a distributor?

Back