How do I start???

I just need to know how to start to make a film with barely any budget plan and not much of a cast... How can I begin to plan, because it has taken me a long time to get to the point of getting a camera eventhough it is a hand camera. I don't even know what mics to get or anything.

Please help me if you can!!!!!

cant start anything without a good script...and find a good one to fit your equipment..this will make for a better film....

without good sound gear you can still make a good film...visuals can still tell a good story

My friend.

How you start film making isn't that hard. Nothing is hard if you just belive it's simple.

What I did.. Was to start with animation, then I jumped over to 3D animation, then i got my first camera and me and my buddies wen't filming everyday. I used to force them out in the cold, acting. Some fun moments but I warn you. Don't push your friends like i did. It might ruin a friendship or 2 :(

But short: Get a camera, write a little story! and find your actors. for a beginner actors are friends, family and cats.

First you got to understand. What is film?

Film is picture, sound and text together to tell a story.
You tell _your_ stories trough motion pictures! That is true film making, not these lightsaber fights and pointless action scenes (no offense to every VFX artist and filmmakers out there, myself make alot of them, their fun :D)

I'm not saying don't do movies without a story. But you should learn how to tell a story trough motion picture first.

__

Lets say we got an scene where the main person goes to his fridge and takes out some milk.
This is why we change angles in films, we don't change angles because its cool and looks like a hollywood movie.

Ok back onto the scene.
The camera is placed like this

1for.jpg

mm right and so he walks towards the fridge, sloppy and sad.

then now there is a problem. we can't see what he is searching for, nor his expression. Because we wan't to see the main character's expression and not his ass.

2for.jpg

we change the angle so we can see more of what he is getting and his face. the milk will come in the frame/picture for a second when he pulls it out of the fridge just so you know that :P

Now we got a scene where we use angles correct. The angles helps telling the story you are trying to tell.

I'm sorry if i've said things more then once. Reason for this is because it is extremely important to know. Also I want to apologize if you don't understand everything. I'm an student myself and not a teacher. I'm also not english heh..

I one of those who am putting "new" in newbie*L*. How does one start? I wondered this myself, and said to heck with it. I pretty much am doing 5 min movie with myself and my wife's help(and a performer who prefers to remain anon). I got a camera that wasn't alot(wife wouldn't let me spring for 1000 pro jobbie-sigh), video editing software. I had some training from a college course I took a few years ago in Media, in regards to angles, lighting ect. But you don't even need that there's a lot of good books(and forums like these :))There's no dialogue, so no need(in my case) for a script, and it helped it was one of those movies that kind of filmed itself. Also, Audio is pretty much reduced to ambivent sounds, I'm still debating about soundtrack. The thing I've found about my experience is that there is no "wrong" thing to do(except maybe having the lights off*L*)it's about experimentation and play. You learn as you go.

Tstart with an idea, any idea. Even if it's playing around with the camera and setting up little scenarios to film. I got comfortable by doing some montages of video footage to music to learn timing(and to really learn how much "fun" premiere can be*L*)

And have FUN! Maybe that's the really important thing-fun and passion.

I'm still learning my way too, so I can understand where you're coming from :)

Back