How do I remove my voice from the scene?

Probably a noob question but I'm going to be working with very small children and in my rehearsals it's become apparent that the actors will not be able to do everything required unless I am constantly providing direction even while filming.

However, I have seen some "behind the scenes" type stuff before that showed directors doing this, and then they somehow remove the director's voice from the scene in post. Will a newbie director with cheap equipment be able to do this as well? If so, how?

owever, I have seen some "behind the scenes" type stuff before that showed directors doing this, and then they somehow remove the director's voice from the scene in post. Will a newbie director with cheap equipment be able to do this as well?

They probably were filming with an ADR in mind.

You could cut the unwanted line out, but if the unwanted voice is overlayed with another actors - its most likely impossible to do because of how close ranged the tones are.

When you record production dialog on-set you should also be recording room-tone after you have finished shooting each scene. Room-tone is the ambient atmosphere of the set. When you do the dialog editing you remove whatever you do not want to hear and replace it with room-tone. On big-budget projects everything is stripped out from between the lines of dialog and replaced with Foley, sound FX and ambient backgrounds.

When you record production dialog on-set you should also be recording room-tone after you have finished shooting each scene. Room-tone is the ambient atmosphere of the set. When you do the dialog editing you remove whatever you do not want to hear and replace it with room-tone. On big-budget projects everything is stripped out from between the lines of dialog and replaced with Foley, sound FX and ambient backgrounds.

Simple, yet brilliant. I would not have thought of that on my own. Thank you for the help!

Question when low budget tools are used and the eqt has the inevitable bit of self noise and one uses noise reduction to get rid of the noise, it also removes the room tone, how does one best handle that ?. Keep the self noise / room tone and just loop in in at a lower volume on another track ??

When giving the direction, remember to leave gaps in your direction to allow the ambient noise to run... that way, you don't have to cut around your voice as much either. Let the little piece of dialog run its course... watch the BTS from Indiana Jones 2 where Spielberg talks about using the same technique with the leader of the village delivering his lines in English Phonetically, parroting Mr. Spielberg's dialog back to him a line at a time.

Back