• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I move my FCP project to my external hard drive?

Hi all!

I am in need once again of advice from the IT forum :D

I have about 300Gb of projects on the hard drive of my computer. All projects were edited in Final Cut Pro 6. The situation is, however, that I have computer programs that I would like to have on my internal hard drive, instead of all my footage from these projects.

Sooooooo....

How do I copy my projects - - with capture scratch/footage clips, etc. - - to my external hard drive which has LOTS of room to hold it all? I would like to avoid having to go through every clip and reconnect clips.

At this time, I have a couple of projects to do, but I can't because I have NO ROOM on my internal hard drive. I found one explanation on YouTube, but I would much rather ask here. This site has yet to ever steer me wrong. Plus, all of this stuff is important. I need to keep it, but it's got to be off my internal.

Help a sista out, yo! :D explain it to me like I'm 5....

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
If you follow the prescribed method, every project folder will have its own "capture scratch" folder in it with its the footage for that project ONLY. It'll never be in your "final cut pro documents" folder at all... ever. That is how it gets all scrambled and difficult to sort out.

Back