• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I link edits on Premiere Pro?

After I sync up the audio with the video, is there a way to lock just the link, but not lock anything else. That way if I decide to cut something or splice something in, the sync will still be there without getting thrown off.

Select audio clip and video clip (you can do this by 'dragging a square of by selecting one , press shift and select the other)
Right click
select link.

(This way you can unlink as well)

There is no link when you right click, though, there is only unlink. There is 'group' but that doesn't stop them from going out of sync in certain cases, when things are moved around.

There is no link when you right click, though, there is only unlink. There is 'group' but that doesn't stop them from going out of sync in certain cases, when things are moved around.

When it says unlink, you have selected an audioclip or videoclip that's already linked to video or audio.
Do 'unlink' and 'link' what you want to be linked.

And Cracker Funk is right.
Google, some imagination, logic and trial & error should be way faster.

(Nobody taught me about the 'link' 'unlink'; rightclicking just revealed a number of options worth trying to see what is does.)

Your video came with an audio track.
Your audio came in as its own audio track.

You first UNLINK the audio that came from the camera,
Now you can select the video and the synced audio track and "Link" them together.

Okay thanks that worked. But if I 'ripple delete' the video, the audio does not move with it, and vice versa. So linking seems the same as grouping, and will go out of sync if I ripple delete.

Okay thanks that worked. But if I 'ripple delete' the video, the audio does not move with it, and vice versa. So linking seems the same as grouping, and will go out of sync if I ripple delete.

Then you're doing it wrong. Once two (or more) clips are linked, they will stay linked, no matter what type of deleting/moving you do.

Also, are you sure ripple delete is what you want? There are not very many instances in which I would use that function. It's good to know it exists, but are you aware of the alternatives?

How much poking around have you done? Have you ever just looked through every single menu, and played with things? Do you ever just play with your software, experimenting with different things, just to see what you can and can't do?

You don't learn new software by asking how to perform every single simple procedure. At this rate, maybe you'll master Premiere by 2020. You learn new software by poking around. Just play with it. Try things. When something doesn't do what you thought it would, play around some more. This is called trial/error, and it's THE best method for learning something new. A little guidance can be good, and for that there are youtube tutorials and the instructional books _________ for Dummies. But those are simply guides; you simply must explore the software yourself.

Okay thanks. I don't know if ripple delete is what I want but I have spent a lot of time looking around for things like that. I usually look around for a few hours before ask online. Thanks for all the input for sure. It's appreciated.

If your time is valuable, then I recommend actually shelling out the money and buying the Adobe Training series. It will teach the basics and eventually the complex end of the programs.

Back