• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I fix this problem with my media format?

I got a new computer and put what I edited before, of my short film, on it, along with all the new stuff. One of the scenes I did before, is not the 16:9 ration, but more like 3:2. It is also heavily quite pixelated by comparison. How do I change the video back to 16:9 at 1080p or whatever is wrong? Thanks.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention, Premiere Pro. I assume you mean video format preferrences. Premiere Pro says that the project is in 720 x 480, but I shot it with a 1920 x 1080 camera, and thought I set the project to that way back when I edited this first scene. How do I change it to so?

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll definitely know that for next time. So I went to sequence settings, but the options would not allow me to click on the pixel options to change them. I can't find what to do online or anywhere in the program.

You can't change the resolution of an already-made sequence, but you can start a new sequence at whatever resolution you want and bring it in.

What did you render the original file as? Can you redo it with the original footage?

Yes I can re-edit it, but hoping I could fix it without having to. But I will. My older computer must have played it all back without the de-resolution noticeable. So just I am clear and I don't make any other mistakes what should I format the project to before starting? 24fps at 1080p?

To do:
- copy edit in sequence
- make new sequence with correct settings
- paste edit in new sequence

(It's just like typing a document:
'oh no, this chapter is typed in the wrong file!'
'Don't worry: select the text, copy it and paste in the right document'
The trick is to find a solution for your problem.
You can either start over again, try to change a sequencesetting that won't let you change it, or just make a new sequence and paste what you have.)

BTW, you don't have a 'media-format-problem'. You have a sequence-settings-problem ;)

Last edited:
Ah!

You imported an exported videofile!

That is not the same as opening the old projectfile where you did the edit.
I suggest you do that.
Or make a new export on your old computer with the right settings. Changes are the default settings are Standerd Defenition NTSC with non-square pixels.

You did not mention before that you exported the old scenes: this is where things probably went wrong.
To do:
- open old project
- copy content (= not the same as export) sequence
- make new project or new sequence
- paste content old edit

Or:
- open old project on old computer
- export edit the right way: right dimensions, square pixels, etc

I haven't been able to find the old projectile oddly. I originally was going to reopen the old edit, but for some reason could not find it. I will look some more. After not finding it, I remembered I exported the scene, so I used that instead. But if I can't find the original PP project, then I'll just re-edit it all over again. So if I re-import the original takes, and re-edit, I should set my settings to 24fps at 1080p, while making the new project right?

Last edited:
Did you try a search for the file? Or for all .ppr-files?
(Do you know how to search for files on a computer? :P )

Always save your projectfile in the same folder as your project.

If you can't find it, but you have the project opened: press CTRL+SHIFT+S (or select Save as...) it will open the last location you used to save a project (unless that location is disconnected).
This way you can find it if you don't know how it's named.

My folder structure (I don't use these names: the names are there to make clear what it is):

- ProjectFolder
- - projectfile (not a folder, but the file!)
- - VideoFootageFolder
--- - VideoDataDay1Folder (or MemoryCard1)
--- - VideoDataDay2Folder (and so on)
- - SoundFolder
--- - MusicFolder
--- - SoundFXFolder
- - ImagesFolder
- - ExportsFolder
- - MiscFolder

This way you can always find your stuff.
Datamanagement is an important part of your workflow.

Back