How do I acquire rights for a dollar baby?

Hi,
I read Stephen King's short story called "Man in a black suit" 6-7yrs ago and thought if I ever become a succesful filmmaker I'd buy the rights and make this definately.
And then today I found out from one of the threads here about "Dollar Babies"!!
Now I'm dead excited to think that maybe my dream can become a reality.
Does anyone know how do I go about procuring the rights or permission to just make it?
Non commercial purpose ofcourse but can I still submit it in Festivals?

Please help

Thanks

It sounds like there are some restrictions, like you need to be a student.

Here's the website where you can apply. Click on 'Dollar Baby Request' in the bottom left navigation pod. There is a list of short stories available to make(I don't think I saw Man in a Black Suit, unfortunately, but I'm sure you could still ask). And also a form to make the request.

I've never tried before, so I don't know anything more than what I found on google. But it looks like the official site to me :)

I hope this helps you out.

http://www.stephenkingshortmovies.com/

The story "The Man in the Black Suit" is not available.

The "Dollar Baby Request" on StephenKingShortMovies.com works, the requests will be forward to King's assistent. They will reply your e-mail with information where you asked for.

hey guys..thanks for your replies
"Man in Black Suit" is part of Everythings Eventual collection which is listed there but when I clicked on it, it showed just the title story and not the whole collection which included 1408..lol

I have seen a version of MIBS on youtube last year that I think was official dollar baby...damn it if they have revoked the rights...do you think I should still ask? Can I send it to festivals if i chose any of the dollar baby? Working with a solid story would be amazing for a newcomer like myself but like i said..I had my eyes set on MIBS way before I knew i wanna be a filmmaker for sure..

thanks

The Man in the Black Suit(TMITBS) was adapted into a Dollar Baby back in 2003 directed by Nicholas Mariani. I think you have seen the trailer from this one on youtube.

You can ask why TMITBS is no longer available for adaption.

If the film is finished you could send it to festivals. In the rights it says:
--
You agree in perpetuity not to commercially distribute, exploit, exhibit and/or allow third parties to commercially distribute, exploit and/or exhibit in any medium your film except that the film may be exhibited only to those individuals necessary to consider your film on a product reel and/or in festival competitions.
--

Back