budget How do film departments pay for things?

How do film departments pay for things?
For example your set dresser goes out and buys everything to dress the set. You have a $2000 budget for that and you aren't expecting them to pay $2000 of their own money to be reimbursed. How is it done, credit cards, prefilled debit cards, third party billing etc?
My projects have always been small. There really weren't departments, just a person responsible for something and me. I was always on hand to pay for stuff but I am working on something a bit bigger and always being everywhere won't be an option. Thanks.

On the 2 features that I produced, I had credit cards in the production company name that were primarily used for those purchases. Everything had to be approved in advance, and I was given receipts for everything. Occasionally an approved purchase was made in cash. The person gave the receipt to accounts payable. Small amounts were reimbursed in cash, and larger ones by check on the company's account.

Things like equipment rentals were secured with a company credit card, and generally paid with that card at the end. Legal fees, etc. were paid with a company check upon receipt of the invoice.

The key, I think, is to be sure that you have competent and trustworthy people monitoring all the money that goes out. And make sure that you or your trusted #2 personally approve all expenditures.

Hope that helps. Happy to provide a few more specifics if needed.

Last edited:
Back