• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Hollywood told me I need a celebrity to make a Travel Show, well GUESS WHAT?

Hollywood was right. But that didn't stop us. I've been making films for other people for 15 years, and I wanted to make something of my own. So I spent the last three years developing, filming, editing, re-editing, pitching, re-editing, re-naming, and re-editing a travel show pilot, and decided to just premiere it on YouTube for everyone to enjoy. It's called The Great Excuse, and Episode 1 takes place in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.

LOGLINE:
Vulnerability is the greatest adventure. With only a camera, a sleeping bag, and some help from the locals, four filmmaker friends will spend 10 days in a foreign country to experience food and culture in the most intimate way possible.

One network told us we should be a cooking show if we wanted to sell it. Another wanted to turn it into a competition show where we have to "get out of the country before time runs out". But everyone told us we need to have a line of celebrities and influencers out the door if we want to actually get it done. To anyone that's tried to sell and distribute any sort of film project, I have now gone from empathy to sympathy.

We shot the show on two Sony FS7's with a set of vintage Canon K35's prime lenses (no zooms!), a DJI Mavic Pro, a Sony A7s ii, and a GoPro 5 over the course of 14 days in August of 2017. The entire crew was the four of us plus a sound mixer friend of mine. And we all "worked" for free.

Let me know what you think about the show!

Best,
v

Attachments

• img_20170822_184802 copy.jpg
    img_20170822_184802 copy.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 93
  • wzAjumyt.jpeg
    wzAjumyt.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 98
  • WS93TUfi.jpeg
    WS93TUfi.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I was entertained for the entirety. It was a bit jarring at times. Not sure it really falls under documentary as much as it is an extended vlog, or really in some kinda in between.

I was entertained for the entirety. It was a bit jarring at times. Not sure it really falls under documentary as much as it is an extended vlog, or really in some kinda in between.
NICE! Thanks for the feedback. Yeah we love some good genre bending. We have no idea what to call it either.

Back