• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hit a wall with short film development

Hi all,

I'm a second year film student, and one of our main projects this year is to write, direct and produce our own short films (arghh!). Every week in workshops we are set a new task to help with development, so concepts, treatments, etc and it goes on.

I'm currently working on a treatment, but I'm really struggling now with the "middle" of my story. The story has a purpose and a point but I feel like every way I try and turn with it I'm struggling.

Essentially, it is this:

A young boy (6-8 years old), notices that his father keeps coming home late at night, and decides to investigate.

The real "crux" of the story, as it were is to communicate the young boy's dedication and unwavering belief in his father. While the audience (as adults) get clues that appear to suggest the father character is having an affair, the young boy instead imagines that his father is doing something amazing - he is secretly a super hero, or a secret agent etc.

The boy carries out his investigation and eventually the mother steps in to see what he's doing, where SHE discovers what the husband has been up to from what the boy has found. She takes the boy and goes to the place that the father has been spending all his nights without her - a lonely fast food job he's had to take (either as a second job or because he's lost his actual job, I can't decide yet) to pay the bills, and has been too ashamed to tell her.

-----------

First of all - any feedback on the actual story in terms of a short film/in general? I feel like I could write it well as it contains a lot of elements of things I have personally experienced, sort of wrapped up in a different story. However, I keep hitting a wall, logistically with writing it. I have the beginning and the end down and know exactly where I want to be with them, but I'm struggling with the actual "investigation" part of it.

I want this to be quite light and comic, but at the same time have a purpose in revealing the story. But logistically, it's sort of difficult to have a 6-8 year old follow his father around for "clues", as realistically he would be seen, and his mother would realise he was gone.

Can anyone help here? I'm really lost, and the main crux of the story is something I really really want to tell, but I've sort of painted myself in to a corner.

Thanks in advance"

Sounds like a good concept, but I don't know that I'd involve the mother so directly in the ending. It seems unlikely she wouldn't know about the job, where I could see parents not wanting to let on to the kids that they are struggling financially and keeping the extra job secret from them.

And it seems like the first thing the kid would do is ask mom why dad is always getting home late. She could respond a little nervously, or evasively, suggesting that maybe she knows about an affair or something, planting that seed in the audience's mind. Maybe the kid pushes her for more details and she just cuts him off, which of course only makes him more curious.

So then he goes to his room and pulls out his favorite book, about a kid detective - he could get some ideas from the book on how to solve the mystery. Maybe he starts by pretending to go to bed early, and then using his stuffed animals to make a fake person in the bed in case his mom looks in.

Now he could actually sneak out of the house and follow the dad somehow, or hide in the back of the car, etc. That lets you build a couple levels of tension into it - there's the expectation in the audience that the kid will discover the affair, as well as the danger of a kid being out and potentially getting lost. You could show his point of view seeing them head to a not-so-great part of town and seeing things on the street that are scary or that he doesn't understand - like a prostitute calling out to his dad at a stop light (reinforcing the idea that he's up to something no good).

So he hides in the car, but it's a long ride (dad doesn't want to work where his neighbors might see him) so he falls asleep in the back of the car. He wakes up and the car is parked in a big strange parking lot. He gets out, and as he sneaks around the cars a dog confronts him, barks at him, etc. It goes from an adventure to danger. He runs away from the dog and is scared by a homeless guy. Now he's terrified and crying, so he heads for the bright lights and colorful world of the fast food place, where his father discovers him and we reveal what's been going on.

Last edited:
I got to say I liked ItDonnedOnMe's suggestions.

I will say though that for me, when I am stuck on a screenplay's plot my favourite technique is to sit on a sofa and do nothing but think about it for a few hours. A solution often then comes. Another technique is to take a few days away from it - you'll often find that a solution will bubble up during the break. And indeed, talking to peers and here on IT is helpful too.

Sounds like a good concept, but I don't know that I'd involve the mother so directly in the ending. It seems unlikely she wouldn't know about the job, where I could see parents not wanting to let on to the kids that they are struggling financially and keeping the extra job secret from them.

And it seems like the first thing the kid would do is ask mom why dad is always getting home late. She could respond a little nervously, or evasively, suggesting that maybe she knows about an affair or something, planting that seed in the audience's mind. Maybe the kid pushes her for more details and she just cuts him off, which of course only makes him more curious.

So then he goes to his room and pulls out his favorite book, about a kid detective - he could get some ideas from the book on how to solve the mystery. Maybe he starts by pretending to go to bed early, and then using his stuffed animals to make a fake person in the bed in case his mom looks in.

Now he could actually sneak out of the house and follow the dad somehow, or hide in the back of the car, etc. That lets you build a couple levels of tension into it - there's the expectation in the audience that the kid will discover the affair, as well as the danger of a kid being out and potentially getting lost. You could show his point of view seeing them head to a not-so-great part of town and seeing things on the street that are scary or that he doesn't understand - like a prostitute calling out to his dad at a stop light (reinforcing the idea that he's up to something no good).

So he hides in the car, but it's a long ride (dad doesn't want to work where his neighbors might see him) so he falls asleep in the back of the car. He wakes up and the car is parked in a big strange parking lot. He gets out, and as he sneaks around the cars a dog confronts him, barks at him, etc. It goes from an adventure to danger. He runs away from the dog and is scared by a homeless guy. Now he's terrified and crying, so he heads for the bright lights and colorful world of the fast food place, where his father discovers him and we reveal what's been going on.

Thanks so much for the help. I think I've been focussing so much on the mother not knowing that it's thrown up obstacles. I think I also wanted to get in their something about a broken down relationship between the parents (hence why she might not know about the second job), but I think trying to weave that in as well to the extent I was wanting might make it very complicated for a short.

Thanks again for all the brilliant help!

I like your story idea. A few thoughts:
- I think you need a "why now?" moment, that gets the story rolling quickly.
- How "short" of a short film are you wanting? 5 minutes, 12? If it's less than 8 minutes or so, it may add too much complication for your available screen time to get the mother into it. So I like your idea the way you have it, except…
- You might consider having him go out late at night *after* mother goes to bed/sleep. NOW you have a way to get it started and keep the second job from the mother (in the boy's mind).
- Consider going with 3 attempts by the boy to find out what's going on. Build the 3 with ever-more increasing risk or danger.
- Give your audience a nice surprise at the end, the "second job" is a bit cliché and your audience might figure it out too soon.

My thoughts, have a ball. And enjoy school, I'm a bit jealous of the rigor and demands— these are good things!

Best-

Back