• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

High shots

Hey you guys

So I just saw a video done from a quadcopter and it was pretty great how nice the shots looked from up high and all, and the whole while I kept wondering if this'd make for a good idea for tracking shots or really tall establishing shots.

Like all broke filmmakers, I work with a DSLR (Canon 60d) and I'd love to know if there's an affordable version of something like a quadcopter that could be used with a DSLR to take tracking or establishing shots.

If not, is there something else you guys would recommend that goes beyond the traditional dolly... or cranes?

Thanks

A drone that'll handle a DSLR isn't going to be terribly cheap. The DJI Phantom will do it, but not well.

You'd be better off flying a gopro or something similar.

I keep seeing ads on youtube for the not yet release parrot bebop drone, which looks pretty slick... http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bebop-drone/

If you're looking for affordable though, your best bet would likely be to find someone who already owns and pilots a drone, and hiring them for the shot(s). Keep in mind that otherwise, aside from the equipment purchase, you'd also have to dedicate a bunch of time to learning/practicing piloting, etc.

Back