High Regarded Film Schools?

Hi there

I'm a UK resident, currently researching Universities. I'm looking out for those highly regarded film schools. At the moment I'm looking at The National Film and Television School which is basically on my doorstep, as well as the New York Film Academy. I understand that these are very highly regarded?

Does anybody have any advice on the best film schools? If so, I'd appreciate any advice/warnings etc.

Currently I am entering my Fourth semester in Film School. So I was going over a lot of the same questions you are now. Did I make the right decision? Time will only tell, but yea, I'm positive I did.

When I was first looking for film schools, the name mattered more to me than anything else. But than I asked, whats the real purpose of a film school? For me its to gain contacts, learn the fundamentals, and film as much as possible.

Most film schools UCLA, NYU, USC you don't even touch a camera before your junior year, sometimes you can even make it through film school without ever shooting your own movie.

Here's a quick lesson, Film School is nice, but it's not necessary, Defiantly a big help. The first real film set I was on, Adventureland, (I'm an extra) I was talking to a PA, he has a degree in Econ and wanted to try film and liked it. Never having gone to a film school, you can still get in the business.

Of everything I have heard from my professors in film, You are the one who determines whether you make it or not. If you are making the best original films out there you will get the job no matter where you came from. You and your films are your product to sell.

After much research I am currently attending Point Park University on the above philosophy. It is a relatively unknown School for film, but its name is quickly growing.

Why I choose Point Park

1. The best program out there in my opinion. I am growing as a filmmaker more and more throughout every semester. This is mostly attributed to all the hands on experience I am receiving. I made three short films for class my second semester.

2. I'm actually majoring in Cinema and Digital Arts where, in my opinion, is where the industry is going. Especially with THE RED ONE. Real Film will consume your budget. Where as shooting on HD, I have a P2 card where I can transfer straight from the Camera to Final Cut and keep shooting at only the cost of the P2 card.

3. I get to live in a city attending a smal University, roughly 3,500 students.

4. It is the cheapest film school I found.

A quick summary of all that

Pros of attending a highly regarded film school : Good reputation, network with alumni, Proffessors are probably really well-known

Cons: Cost, Not your regular college experience, lack of hands-on experience

For me, the Cons heavily out-weigh the Pros. With technology ever improving, Hollywood is quickly dying. The internet will be the way to go. Learn on the technology that works with the internet the best, and your a head of the game.

As of right now, I couldn't feel more confident with my choice. Here are some films made by the students I regard as some of the best the school has seen. It may give you some insight on the potential, Point Park has to offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG_ZYxpBEzg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRpYvgcNuzw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7bNbvYs0DE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdeojM1GXw&feature=channel_page

Here is my Third Semester Big film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVyqDs8-sxQ

*EDIT I hope this helps. Understand I am currently a student, and have yet "made it" into the business, so I could be wrong on all accounts and really be fucking myself over. However, I am confident I made the right choice. I have every tool at my hands to make great films, it's now down to whether or not I have the original creativity needed to truly "make it" in film making.

Last edited:
I'm afraid i can't offer any advice as i've been looking at film school in London (London Film Academy looks great) but the costs for a proper corse are crazy. The 1 year film making diploma was somehting like £17,000 which is way more than i could dream of affording and then if i did have that money i'd be just as tempted to pour it into a project and try to make something with some half decent equiptment etc.

IF you go for it though i'd love to hear your experiences with it or anyone else who's been to a film school rather than regular university

Film school alternatives

If you want to get your feet wet and learn the nuts and blolts and build a network, then I would suggest checking out the workstudy program at the Maine Media Workshops. I met some of my best friends there, who are now working with me in Hollywood. During that time, I also learned filmmaking basics.

The program is fast and relatively inexpensive and you'll make your own movies!

Anyway, my two cents.

Only advice I could offer is make sure you go to a film school for the right reasons. Everything they teach you in film school you can learn on your own easily, without spending the tuition. The only reason you'll be going is to make contacts in the industry -- so if your goal is to be a hollywood guy, that's definitely the place to start.

However, if you just want to make your own films and learn about filmmaking, pick up some books, pick up a camera, and start shooting today -- don't waste the money on film school.

Only advice I could offer is make sure you go to a film school for the right reasons. Everything they teach you in film school you can learn on your own easily, without spending the tuition. The only reason you'll be going is to make contacts in the industry -- so if your goal is to be a hollywood guy, that's definitely the place to start.

However, if you just want to make your own films and learn about filmmaking, pick up some books, pick up a camera, and start shooting today -- don't waste the money on film school.

Does VCU still have a decent film program?

I don't know where Bpeas got his information on film schools like USC, UCLA, and NYU, but I disagree.

You DO touch the camera within the first week or 2 at these schools.. and you make SEVERAL films. My friend is in grad school at USC's film school... USC is the best.. the contacts you make are amazing..

Back