HiDef just got cheaper...

Very cool.

But it's a CMOS set up instead of CCD's. What are the pro's and cons to CMOS vs. CCD;s?
I always thought that having CCD's was better than CMOS but I'm not sure. I'm just wondering if this camcorder delivers 4:4:4 or 4:1:1 or what?

One thing that worries me about this: It has an HDMI output. It dosen't say if it has a firewire output. Searching on Sony's website comes up with a blank "coming soon" page with no specs. If it had a firewire port, I'd probably get one as soon as its released.

IF this item only has an HDMI output, it would be all but useless. HDMI, from what I understand, is a "trusted" output interface. It's not something you can connect to a PC (at this time) and copy to for editing. HDMI was created to stop digital copying in all its forms (Thank you RIAA and MPAA and your deep lobbyist pockets).

If someone can find a link to a site that explains this better, please post it.

Isn't the iLink 1394 some kind of Firewire PC bastardization? It says " to ...and PC". Until I bend over to remove my wallet, I'm assuming that means you can transfer at a reasonable speed to something not manufactured by Sony.

Even the home video enthusiasts are impressed with the range of recording capabilities offered by the HDR-HC3 Handycam® camcorder. With HD and SD Recording Modes, you can make the move to HD while retaining compatibility with standard definition equipment. The HC3 sets the industry standard in resolution quality with its ClearVid CMOS Image Sensor™, capturing precise detail and superior color reproduction. Dual Record Mode lets you capture 2.3 Megapixel stills while shooting high definition video. And Smooth Slow Recording captures fast movement with precise detail for slow motion playback. Now you can record what you want however you want it. The HC3 is everything you’ve come to expect from the world's smallest and lightest consumer camcorder (as of February 1, 2006).

• 2.1 Megapixel (Gross) ClearVid CMOS Sensor™
1/3" ClearVid CMOS Sensor provides stunning detail and clarity with exceptional video (up to 1080 lines of resolution - HD Mode or up to 530 lines of horizontal resolution - SD Mode) and still image performance (4.0 Megapixel). Unlike traditional CCD Imagers, CMOS Sensors require less power, providing better battery performance.

• HDV Recording Format
From the innovators in camcorder technology, Sony’s HDR-HC3 camcorder is the industry's smallest and lightest HDV1080i consumer level camcorder and player (as of February 1, 2006). Now you can record all your memories in true high definition video.

• 2.7" Wide (16:9) Hybrid Touch Panel Clear Photo plus LCD Display (211K Pixels)
The 2.7" Wide (16:9) LCD screen provides excellent viewing clarity with improved resolution. The 211K pixel LCD screen rotates up to 270 degrees for multiple viewing angles providing sharp, detailed images for monitoring or playback, and the widescreen format makes shooting in 16:9 mode and composing shots even easier.

• Smooth Slow Recording
By increasing the record rate from 60 fields per second (fps) to 240 fps for 3 seconds allowing you to capture 3 seconds of fast motion and play the video back in 12 seconds. This is great for analyzing a golf swing or a viewing a bird in flight.

• Dual Record
While recording video in High Definition you have the ability to capture a 2.3 Megapixel still image directly to Memory Stick Duo™ media.

• Switchable HDV/DV Format Recording
The HDR-HC3 is capable of recording and playing back both High Definition (HD) and Standard Definition (SD) video recorded on a standard MiniDV cassette.

• Real-Time HD Codec Engine
Sony developed a Real Time MPEG Encode/Decode system with reduced energy consumption and compact size to fit inside a personal camcorder. This engine provides efficient MPEG2 compression, and recording and playback of clear HD images at the same bit rate of the DV format, so that High Definition video can be recorded on the same MiniDV cassettes as are used for SD recording.

• Assignable Dial
Built into the lens body of the camera, the assignable dial can be used not only for focus or exposure, but may also be customized by the user to control Auto Exposure (AE) Shift, Exposure, Focus and White Balance (WB) Shift. In playback mode it allows you to control the volume.

• Cinematic Mode
Perfect for creating your own movie masterpieces, the HDR-HC3 Cinematic mode lends 24 frame film-like effects to your recordings.

• Built-in Intelligent Flash
For added clarity and detail when taking pictures in low-light situations, the built-in flash improves pictures and reduces shadows.

• 10X Optical / 80XDigital Zoom
The optical zoom helps to bring the action close up from far away. In addition, the Digital Zoom Interpolation means that extreme digital zooming is clearer, with less distortion than previous types of digital zoom.

• Professional Quality Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar® T* Lens
Carl Zeiss lenses have an advanced optical multi-layer coating that offers less glare and flare with increased contrast. This results in vivid image brilliance, true-to-life color saturation and perfect renditions of subtle tones. The additional T* coating on the lens further reduces unwanted glare and flare.

• Super SteadyShot® Image Stabilization System
Picture stabilization system that uses motion sensors to detect and compensate for camera "shake" without compromising picture quality like some other digital stabilization systems.

• i.LINK® Interface (IEEE1394)1
A high speed bi-directional digital video/audio communication between two compatible devices equipped with an IEEE1394 interface, including camcorders, digital VCRs, and PCs.

• Tele Macro Function
Useful for shooting close up shots, but without having the camcorder casting a shadow on the subject. Images shot in the Tele Macro Mode will have the subject properly focused with the background unfocussed so that the subject stands out.

• Active Interface Shoe
Provides a location directly on the camcorder on which to add optional accessories while providing power and two-way communication to those accessories.

Step-up features are highlighted are orange

"Sony has added the Easy Handycam button to the HDR-HC3 but dropped the microphone input jack that was on the HDR-HC1. Sony has also dropped the manual shutter speed control as well as color bar feature."

"t is clear that Sony is going after a different target market with the HC3. While the HC1 was the most affordable high definition camcorder ever when it was introduced, it included many features that were clearly targeted at prosumer users. The HC3 drops those features as well as the price and focuses on Sony's core market of point-and-shooters seeking ease of use.

Those feature choices could alienate many of the users who made the HDR-HC1 such a popular camcorder. However, Sony is continuing the HDR-FX1 and sources close to the company stress that this replacement isn't an abandonment of prosumer users. Rather, they stress that Sony is attempting to satisfy the needs of a greater number of camcorder users who are interested in HD with a more utilitarian model. "

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-Officially-Announces-$1700-HC3-High-Definition-Camcorder-.htm

---------

This is not, I repeat, not a replacement for the less expensive HC1. It costs more and appears to have less prosumer features, of which the HC1 just barely had enough to make it considerable for shooting our indie films. This has no place in our bags.

If you want super cheap and no frills, look to the new Sanyo which does 720p and should retail for under $800.

As for this camera being 26% smaller, for any of you who have ever held an HC1 you would ask, "why?". The Hc1 is pretty small as it is...

Sony has to target the right audience, and every extra bell and whistle cuts into their profit margin. If 70-80% of their audience doesn't need a mic in, it doesn't make sense to have it on the board. This camera is perfect for most parents/grandparents/kids as a low end HD camera. They probably wouldn't buy it though until sony took out $400 more stuff from it.

All manufacturers have to balance features vs. acceptable cost for the target audience. As you don't find the features acceptable, frustrating as it may be, you probably aren't the target audience for the product.

Features cost money, from both a manufacturing standpoint and a market standpoint. You get what you pay for. As a low-budget filmmaker, I'd love nothing more than to have a $200 camera that has HDV with 2 x XLR in and shoots 1080/24p but it's not going to happen. I understand your frustration. Here's hoping the "RED" camera ( http://www.red.com ) lives up to its' hype :)

Maybe they're fishing for angel investors, so they can skip town and get faced in the Bahamas. I suppose as long as you can capture the data and export the data, you've got yourself a digital camera...though their site isn't inspiring a lot of confidence, except in their graphic designer. Now if only I could get XLR inputs on my Segway, I could truly change the world...

red is being shown at NAB this year and won't be shown before that...it's being done by Jim Jannard who is the guy who brought us oakley glasses...he's rich, deals in optics and is a film/cinema freak...he's got just about every camera ever released and uses them as well (so sayeth he on a different board - no links or names, just a different board). Others on that board believe him based on dealings with him in the past. He wants this camera for himself. Until then, the sony will have to do ;)

It seems to be general consensus that the RED camera will retail for at least $15k possibly much more. For the features it will offer, it will be worth $75k, but it kind of defeats the whole low budget indie thing. I would LOVE for it to retail for like $5k and blow Sony, Canon, Panasonic and JVC's whole HD empires out of the water in terms on indie filmmaking. It would literally destroy their whole gameplans. but that won't happen.

Now if only I could get XLR inputs on my Segway, I could truly change the world...

If you've got a mini-jack audio-in on your camera you can get XLR in :yes:

http://www.beachtek.com/

I used their units and they are fantastic. Bottom line is that you can put pro sound into any camera with and audio-in jack... and there is zero noise on these units.

You can buy them from

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

There technical support is excellent as well. They are good people.

Now go change the world ...

Back