• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hi-Fidelity - Screenplay Club

Well, I put the suggestions in a hat and "Hi-Fidelity" came out.

So for the next two weeks this thread is open for discussing that screenplay.

I'm just off to Script Crawler to find a copy and to start reading. Speak to you soon.

Hello all,

This chance to gain valuable, experienced insight on just what makes some great scripts tick is a wonderful opportunity that I'd like to get in on it if I may.

I've just finished rereading the selected title and as always love it.
Growing up and kicking around the Chicago areas mentioned in the story and having frequented several of the establishments always make this particular screenplay (And film) a real thrill.

BTW Scriptcrawler is fantastic.

-Billy-

I've always been amazed at the narration dialogue. Some are pretty hefty passages, yet unfold perfectly to draw us deeper into the character while also pushing the story forward. There seems to be a sense of rushing towards not only what is at the heart of Rob's character, but also perhaps some personal self discovery finally revealed. I wonder if most of us would agree that at some point we say "Oh I've been through THAT!"?

When I cross these intersections of situation in the story that I can liken to my own experiences it compells me with fevor to read on and examine or even weigh Rob's eventual outcome against my own.

It makes me wonder if this is a *Chick Flick cleverly disguised in the way it's written to appeal to guys.
(*I don't mean "Chick Flick" as a negitive connotation, but more as examining relationships and with a romantic element.)

-Billy-

It makes me wonder if this is a *Chick Flick cleverly disguised in the way it's written to appeal to guys.
(*I don't mean "Chick Flick" as a negitive connotation, but more as examining relationships and with a romantic element.)

Absolutely.

Although I hate the concept of 'chick flicks', I can't help but notice the similarities. I view High Fidelity as a counterpoint to chick flicks, an intelligent, well-written script about relationships and the internal chaos that often accompanies them. Almost the anti-chick-flick. It analyzes relationships without romanticizing them, but at the same time shows a main character that so desperately longs for a romanticized version. It's almost as if our protagonist wishes it was a chick flick. I love it.

And I agree, the narration is absolutely stellar.

This may be a dumb question, but is Barry's character an example of a contagonist or am I completly wrong?

I'm trying to get a sense of what character "types" Dick and Barry are or represent.

EDITED- I have just come across some info that answers my own questions here, but I'm still interested in thoughts on Dick and Barry as characters, so please do tell.

-Billy-

Last edited:
Clive: Does he have other novels of this caliber? Have other been adapted for the screen?

All his books are fabulous. Fever Pitch, his book about being a soccer fan was made into a film and I think, but I'm not sure that "About the Boy" the Hugh Grant flick was one of his as well.

I just finished reading this and have some questions.

I like the screenplay and movie. What makes it so that this is a well written and performed script, but many people I talk to do not like the movie?

Personally, I think it has something to do with the fact that it does not contain (car crashes, death, violence) except that one part. :)

So what am I missing here?

but many people I talk to do not like the movie?

I understand that , not personally because I love the movie. But, I understand that anyone who thinks Kill Bill is a masterpiece probably isn't going to enjoy what is the male equivalent of a chick flick.

I also think this film has particualr appeal to men of a certain age. I'm the same age as Nick Hornby, we grew up in the same culture, the same music, we have simillar obsessions. I think this movie means more to someone like me who saw the Sex Pistols live at the Camden Electric Ballroom and who now catalogues his DVD with the same overly complex way. I am that anorak (Geek for you yanks).

I don't think a nineteen year old can relate to the movie in the same way.

When I used to work in advertising we'd talk endlessly about target mark; who are we talking too. This thinking applies equally to screenplays, who is our audience? The largest mass of cinema goers is the 17-24 age range, they also buy most of the DVDs.

This screenplay is definately aimed at your 30 plus audience. It's concerns are emotional maturity in relationship, Rob stops being a boy and becomes a mature adult. He grows up and settles down.

It's a great script, but it's not the calling card script of a new writer. Just like "Brininging in the Dead" that we discussed before , it's the work of someone who has earned the right to write mature, complex screenplays.

The fact that it's an adaptation of a sucessful novel has to be taken into account. This scriipt proabably wouldn't have survived as a pitch.

Back