HFG10 vs T3i / GH2 - advice needed

Hey all,

I recently decided that I was going to purchase the Canon HFG10 camcorder to start shooting short films. I was actually a day away from making the purchase before deciding to do another night of research on the purchase. It then came to my attention that shooting on a DSLR could be even more fruitful. Still photography is not a must for this purchase. Low-light is going to be a decent part of what I shoot, I believe.

So now, to rival my decision to get the HFG10, I've stumbled on the T3i. And after learning of it's capabilities, I was drawn to this message board -- home of the Panasonic GH2 it seems. It never appeared on my radar even a little bit before coming here: which in one way is troubling (why do only a few people recommend it?), and in another way liberating (I've stumbled on some learned people who can improve my purchase?)

So this is where I am right now. I know with the T3i / GH2 route you can accumulate lenses. That will not be a huge factor for me, for a long time. I don't plan on pooling huge money in lenses for a very considerable amount of time. Also, I know the GH2 is hackable and that seems to be everyone's beginning-and-ending arguments in favour of that model.

Is the HFG10 really a waste of money? It is not very upgradable ... but I've heard amazing things about it's low-light capabilities. It's chip is also smaller though. Please help! And please don't say use the search button...I've most of the threads in this forum up to page 20 in the last few hours. I would like an answer directed towards the HFG10 vs T3i vs GH2. Thank you very much

@Brian What about the D800?

I'm surprised this board hasn't caught on fire for that thing.

It looks really promising, and the D4 too. But there just isn't enough info out there yet. A few early reports have been dismissive, but I think they're premature, and a lot of people want to see how it handles HDMI out.

noob question: I looked at pictures of the Panasonic Lumix Vario 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 Lens that comes with one of the GH2 packages. I realise now the f-stops are really limited? Why would it be wise to start with this lens over a 50mm Prime with more f-stop range?

Also...again, not too sure, but...if I put a Canon adapter on the GH2 and then use a Canon 50mm Prime...will the f-stop controls on the lens work? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that if you sue adapters some lens controls don't work digitally.

Some noobish questions but any answers would be appreciated

That's the knock on the 14-140. It's dog-a$s slow. It's a great lens for outdoor sports or nature I guess. But I don't own it and can't see paying coin like that for such a slow lens.

About Canon 50mm and controls. I use Canon FD glass, the old stuff, the aperture is mechanical and obviously works perfectly on GH2. For new electronic lenses, like the "nifty fifty" I don't believe there's an adapter yet, one is supposed to be in the works, but it's not cheap. Maybe it's already on shelves. I don't know.

Yep, if you're using a non-m43 lens (or non EF lens if you get the T3i) that requires an adapter, you'll want an old lens with manual aperture control. You'll see it in the pictures -- a ring usually toward the bottom of the lens with the standard f/stop numbers on it (16, 11, 8, 5.6, 4, etc. onto however low it goes).

As far as the stock zoom lens, it's your call. Personally, I'd want it just to have that versatility in spontaneous situations. The stock lens that comes with the T3i is 18-55mm, and nearly as slow as the Panasonic 14-140mm. But it's certainly nice to have at least one zoom lens to go along with the prime lenses I have. If you want a nicer zoom lens with a larger aperture than the 14-140mm, it will run you many hundred dollars more.

I believe I'm going to go with the GH2 now...the reviews and recommendations are stacked too high not to, at this point.

now, for a good 50mm Prime lens....do people recommend Nikon over Canon? Does anybody have specific recommendations? Or perhaps recommendations against a 50mm prime being my first lens?

also, a good adapter recommendation?

I believe I'm going to go with the GH2 now...the reviews and recommendations are stacked too high not to, at this point.

now, for a good 50mm Prime lens....do people recommend Nikon over Canon? Does anybody have specific recommendations? Or perhaps recommendations against a 50mm prime being my first lens?

also, a good adapter recommendation?

I couldn't recommend a specific 50mm other than a super takumar f/1.4 from eBay (the one I have). But you should know that, because of the crop factor of the GH2, it will be pretty zoomed-in. You might consider getting a cheap wider angle in addition.

Wow the crop factor really does make a difference doesn't it. I'm reading up to 2x. Or 1.8 rather. Interesting

Speed makes a difference, crop factor doesn't really. What's hard to find are fast super wides (12-18/1.8~2). That's a legit issue. But super wides are a dime a dozen and you really don't need more than a 17mm on GH2.

11-16/2.8 is a nice piece of glass for any camera.

Okay, I believe I'm going to go with the GH2. Now I need a little lens advice. In my research, assuming the first lens I should get is a prime, I've narrowed my selections down to these (more selection advice is welcome):

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Lens
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens
Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

Here are my questions regarding these:

a) what lens do you believe I should get for my first lens?
b) does the crop factor of the GH2 lend you to believe I should go more towards a 30mm than a 50mm?
c) what is the best adapter for the GH2 to handle this/these lens(es)?
d) why do the 50mm's have an f-stop ring on the lens itself but the others don't? How do you control the f-stops on the Sigma or the 35mm Nikon without an f-stop control on the lens? this has actually confused me for a little while.
e) should I get one of the cheaper Prime's listed here, or in your other suggestions, so I can also get a cheap zoom lens? is a zoom lens necessary at first -- and if you believe it is, can you suggest me some you may think I would like?

Thank you for your time and insight. Any replies to this are appreciated

What's the argument in favor of Hgf10?
GH2 is the best video camera under 5 grand. You shop around you can get one for less than $500.

Not saying I'm a believer by posting these articles or essays or whatever they are. Just, playing Devil's advocate, I suppose. But seriously, don't they make a few consideration-worthy points? The GH2 doesn't even seem to be on the radar of either of these two writers. Was the GH2 not out yet?

Dan Carr Photography: Canon Launches a New Camcorder with the Vixia HF G10

Michael Murie (if I read that right): VideoQ&A: What Do You Think of the Canon HF G10?

Back