• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Here's an odd thought

I've been dancing this around in my head for a while (since getting back from Tokyo actually), and here goes.

I've always been a fan of the Beatles, in particular John Lennon. Unfortunately, I wasn't born before he was killed, but I've always wondered what he did before it happened (like a week before). So I had an idea when I was watching an "Office" marathon of my own accord.

A Mocu-Drama (as in a drama shot in the style of a documentary or portions of it). The basic idea is, John Lennon sits down for an interview about his life a few hours before his assignation, this interview is not professionally taped, it's more of a trial run to get the lighting right, choose preferred angle for camera shots, so all the "footage" is hand held, and the dialog is raw and uncensored. I'm going to inter-cut scenes from his life (re-created of course) in between the interview (like he answers a question about his childhood and it inter-cut's to his childhood).

It's got a lot of bug's still and I have yet to choose the major portions of his life to portray, but I guess I was wondering if there's something there that I could turn into a feature, or should I stick it to a short?

Yeah, that's what I thought. It was just sitting on the back burner and really didn't think legally it could go anywhere, but it was worth a thought. Oh well, just file that one away then.

It worked for Forrest Gump.

Lennon had a photo shoot that day (day before?) with Annie Liebowitz -- I'll bet if you did your research you could make a compelling story about the surrounding people, about the Dakota, about the park...

Don't let the lawyers stop you from writing, just be aware that "life rights" are their own little crown of thorns.

Back