• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help With Sound

Hey,
This particular issue has been bugging me for a long time, This question goes out to 'Alcove Audio' in particular :)

When you shoot a scene, and you stop and shoot another, the audio is stopped and then restarted, and its obvious thats there was a cut, how do you keep the audio running smoothly?

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

Well, Im wondering, you know when you are shooting a scene and you swap to a different angle, is there a way to keep the audio going, like is it something you actually do on set, or something you fix in post? Or do i have to record audio onto a seperate device?

Sorry if you dont understand, its hard to explain :)

Ah, ok, well let me give you a little bakground information, I am a 17 year old film enthusiast and my current equipment would be a Canon Legria HF200 valueing 1000E and a Mic worth 30E (But in the coming weeks I will be buying an upgrade for the mic, around 350 I think is the cost for the one i want) and free software so i dont have much to work with...... Thanks :)

You record the best audio you can on-set. When you finish an angle get the cast and crew out of there and capture a minute or two of the empty set (room-tone).

In audio post you strip out the audio between the lines of dialog. Create a "loop" of one of the room-tones and play it "underneath" the dialog; this the "smooth" that you are probably asking about.

You can also look online for various recordings of "background" sounds that could fit the environment of your scene. Having that running beneath your recorded audio will also help create the illusion that everything is taking place in one smooth sequence. (is illusion that the right word 'cause we're talking about sound?)

I also suggest watching some of your favorite movies with the sound up high and just listen to everything that isn't dialogue. 90 to 99% of what you hear was added later in editing, so think about what you can do to try and add audio to your scene to help promote it. Be creative and figure it out on your own.

Have fun.

Back