• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help with lighting

I am working on a music video for a local band and they have asked for a similar look to the following music video:

Cradle of Filth - Death of Love

Not sure what the rules are for posting links, so I didn't, but this video is easily found on youtube.

The look they are looking for in this video are the shots of the band playing, there is intense backlighting, and looks like some smoke or fog to highlight the light. Any idea how much/what type of lighting is needed for something like this in a space that size?

Thanks

EDIT to add: Camera will be a Sony PD150

Last edited:
One ore two (depending on the strength of the light) lights hung high and behind the focal points. Perhaps add a light blue gel to the lights (or add the blue in post).

Add diffusion to the room--get a smoke machine (spread the smoke evenly), or get 'diffusion in a can.'

To light the front of the focal points, you can use one or two lights pulled far back or set to a dimmer. Or you can use a few bounce boards.

I'm not a lighting designer, so I don't know if this is the best way. I've just done lights on a handful of features and shorts. You may get a better answer from someone else.

Last edited:
Wow. That is a huge source light behind the band. It looks like it could be a 12k Silver bullet. I hope you have a nice budget because that isn't a cheap setup. Also I would get a Hazer, not smoke. It will hang in the air a little better and diffuse nicer.

If you aren't going for that intense of lighting you could get away with a similar style if you took like 4 1000w lights and put them in a box form, two on top and two on bottom. Then blasted that through some Hampshire Frost diffusion. That may come pretty close, but it won't be nearly as intense.

Back