Help with capsule markings of Avantone CK-1

Hi all,

This will sound faintly ridiculous, but I'm not sure which capsule is which in my recently acquired Avantone CK-1. I'm presuming the one on the left is the hypercardioid, the centre one is the cardioid, and teh right one is the omni?

Have I got that right?

For DSLR filmmaking, I know I want the hypercardioid for boompole indoor dialogue, and I presume the omni for capturing room tone. Is there any practical use I would want to use the cardioid for..?

Thanks

capsules.jpg

This will sound faintly ridiculous, but I'm not sure which capsule is which in my recently acquired Avantone CK-1.
I'm presuming the one on the left is the hypercardioid, the centre one is the cardioid, and teh right one is the omni?

You are correct. From left to right - hypercardioid, cardioid, omni.

I know I want the hypercardioid for boompole indoor dialogue, and I presume
the omni for capturing room tone.

No, you use exactly the same capsule/mic & mixer, recorder, etc. settings for capturing room-tone that you
used to capture the dialog. You want the room tone to sound the same as the spaces between lines of dialog.

Is there any practical use I would want to use the cardioid for..?

On-set, probably not. The cardioid and omni capsules can be very useful for capturing sound effects such as
ambient atmospheres like crowds, wildlife, cityscapes, etc. Also quite useful for musical applications. It calls
for a lot of experimentation on your part to see which is best in each given circumstance.

Back