• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help with animated title

Hey guys,
I need to create a simple animated title. It will display time in a format such as "10:45:23 AM." That part is static. Then the animation is supposed to "flip" those numbers over, and in turn revealing a new set a numbers (a new title).

Ex:
10:45:23 AM
numbers and letters flip over to reveal
11:21:13 AM

Below I grabbed some images from Livetype which has something very close to what I am looking for. The director does not like how the letters are cut in half horizontally and also how they have the dark rectangular outline (visible in front of the white background). He wants just "plain" numbers, then the flip, then the new title.

title1.jpg

title2.jpg

title3.jpg

Do you guys have any tips?

Thanks.

You could make the animation with Flash and then export the Flash movie into a variety of video-based formats (.mov or .avi are included on the list -- you are a QuickTime guy, right?)

I made a Flash movie similar to this which featured playing cards face-down, then they "fipped" over. Let me know if you would like more specifics.

My first thought would be to generate a multi layer image in photoshop and then manipulate the layers on the FCP timeline, using motion keyframes.

There's a really good chapter about using photoshop layers in Diane Weyland's book about FCP

That way you can build you numbers so they're exactly the way you want them in photoshop -- place the new number on a new layer underneath and then animate the top layer so it flips out of shot -- revealing the bottom layer.

Does that make sense?

Thanks guys.

This was for the first cut of the film and therefore I was looking for a very quick solution. That's why I opted for something similar to LiveType where you can pick something you like and customize it to fit your needs.

Flash would be great for the job, John, but too complicated for this point of the edit.

Clive, I have worked with multilayer Photoshop files as sequence nests. Off the top of my head I can't think of any video transitions that produce that effect. Besides the "cross-disolve" I never venture into the transitions :)

Since my post we ended up redoing the titles which made that animation un-necessary. I had a feeling that was going to happen. :)

Back