• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help, PT not loading my LW movie for this weekends challenge.

Anyone want to take a guess why my ProTools fast track set-up won't load my Lightworks edited movie? I got all the edits done on a 2-1/2 minute video for 8salacious9's weekly challenge ( http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=46010 ) and can't get it to load into ProTools. It will seem to be loaded but just bogs my computer (HP Pavillion g series AMD A4-3300M w/ radeon graphics, 6G ram, 500G hd)and will play continuously without responding to the stop button. I really want to put the folley and ambient as well as music in.... What am I doing wrong... anyone?

What specific codec are you using for the PT video? You may have to convert.

PT tends to prefer .MOV or .DV Quicktime vids. I use a Quicktime .DV stream on a drive separate from the audio work drive and (of course) on a drive separate from the software/boot-up drive.

Aha, ok. Thanks. It is an AVI file, I will have to convert it then transfer it to my USB hard drive. Thanks a tonne Alcove. As usual, your the best. I hope to incorporate some of the audio tips you've provided. The deadline is just too tight to do it justice though, as I'm still learning. I was thinking of collaborating with an audio savvy fellow ITer but pretty sure that's not the point of a "challenge"...

Alcove is correct, the video must be in quicktime format (.mov) and you don't want to be using a heavily compressed codec, such as H.264. DV is good for SD video but Avid's DNxHD is preferred for HD. You can download it free from Avid's website HERE.

G

Thanks A.P.E. I downloaded what I thought was needed but turns out I don't know how to use it yet. I will be watching as many tutorials as I can find. I converted it into a .mov file instead but it still won't show in the video screen when imported. Off to Youtube to do some learnin'. 8^)

You do not import video files in PT, you reference them. Okay, it's a fine distinction, but important none-the-less.

Was it a QuickTime .mov? Yes, it makes a difference... (I suggest you get QuickTime Pro [$29] - it does conversions and extractions of all kinds; a valuable tool.)

Try a (QuickTime) .DV stream. PT LE seems to like it better (it's what I use).

Put the video on a drive separate from the audio and separate from the boot-up/software drive.

Check the PT video settings - perhaps it is set to an external port?

Thanks A.P.E. I downloaded what I thought was needed but turns out I don't know how to use it yet. I will be watching as many tutorials as I can find. I converted it into a .mov file instead but it still won't show in the video screen when imported. Off to Youtube to do some learnin'. 8^)

What should happen is that the DNxHD codec is installed and should become an available codec in your video software when you export or convert to a quicktime movie. I personally use Pavtube on my home PC for converting and MpegStreamclip on my studio Mac Pro. There should be various options available when you encode using DNxHD, the numbers represent the bitrate of the encoded movie, a low bitrate should be fine for audio work unless you are using a big screen.

G

Back