• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

help on making dust particle effects for bullets

Well, you should be able to create a nice particle effect in Max. Or you can shoot some dirt "puffs" against a black background, key it out, and insert where you want in your footage.

Video Copilot

hi, i need help on making dust particles from a wall when bullets hit. I have (3d studio max 7, vegas video 6, adobe preimier pro 1.5) and other editing software. You can visit our website here: http://www.dsproductions.zoomshare.com/ Thanks,

I use Hollywood Action from VideoCopilot.com. It's an awesome company and has pre-made filters for you to use. Between that company and a few others, I can do just about any effect you see in major films (I'm still trying to figure out the whole Transformers sequence).

There's a bunch of free SD footage on the detonationfilms.com website (these guys rock). And they have new HD stuff for pretty cheap.

Or you can put a black backdrop behind an empty space where you sill be shooting baby powder into the air. Put a bit of powder (or flour) into the end of a plastic hose and blow while filming. To light it, point a light at it that doesn't hit the background (use a "flag" to shade the background from the light if necessary). Over light the foreground to force you to close the iris for exposure which will help your background go truly black.

I'm a big fan of real footage where possible, but it may not blend into a 3d scene correctly if that's what you're doing. I just know that it would take me less time to shoot the practical effect to composite than it would to create it in 3-d convincingly.

There's a bunch of free SD footage on the detonationfilms.com website (these guys rock). And they have new HD stuff for pretty cheap.

Or you can put a black backdrop behind an empty space where you sill be shooting baby powder into the air. Put a bit of powder (or flour) into the end of a plastic hose and blow while filming. To light it, point a light at it that doesn't hit the background (use a "flag" to shade the background from the light if necessary). Over light the foreground to force you to close the iris for exposure which will help your background go truly black.

I'm a big fan of real footage where possible, but it may not blend into a 3d scene correctly if that's what you're doing. I just know that it would take me less time to shoot the practical effect to composite than it would to create it in 3-d convincingly.

-Good website link! That was a new one on me. I'm more of a fan of compositing than using props or real footage, I try to save film makers money and time, but then again, I composite because I can't act. :)

Back