Help on Ghost or Transition Effect?

Hey everyone!

I'm wondering how can I achieve the effect of making someone disappear when the camera moves away and then moves back to the same position again like in the video REALLY fast without having the camera on a tripod but handheld, I've been planning for about a good 3 months on a short horror story but I can't seem to find any tutorial specifically on how to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcCLiMAxE9o

Please watch, it isn't that scary TBH. :D

This is possibly the easiest thing in the world.

Film it, however you want. when the camera moves away from the person who is meant to disappear, tell them to move, and hold the camera as perfectly still as possible... then in editing remove those frames.

This is possibly the easiest thing in the world.

Film it, however you want. when the camera moves away from the person who is meant to disappear, tell them to move, and hold the camera as perfectly still as possible... then in editing remove those frames.

Are you sure? I thought it requires masking on After Effect.... I'm about 50% convinced, I will try to do what you said and let you know.

For others, please do keep me posted about what you think can achieve this effect.

Hey everyone!

I'm wondering how can I achieve the effect of making someone disappear when the camera moves away and then moves back to the same position again like in the video REALLY fast without having the camera on a tripod but handheld,
Very, very easy.

In that clip while the camera is on the top of the stairs the actor
steps onto the landing - notice how as the camera pans over to
the bookshelf the operator avoids the landing. The camera whips
to the landing and then whips back to the landing. During that
10 seconds the actor drops to the steps behind the solid wall
hiding the steps - notice how the operator avoids seeing the steps.
Exact same thing is happening with the actor in the doorway - step
in, camera pans, step out.

Another option would be to shoot the areas without the girl, then shoot the areas with her there the whole time. Next put both footages into AE. Turn the opacity on the layer with her in it down to 0 until you want her to appear. Then turn it up to 100. Then back down to 0 when you want her gone.

he wants to know how to make them disappear, but the camera doesn't catch it. the camera moves away for a brief second, then moves back and the actress is gone

Another option would be to shoot the areas without the girl, then shoot the areas with her there the whole time. Next put both footages into AE. Turn the opacity on the layer with her in it down to 0 until you want her to appear. Then turn it up to 100. Then back down to 0 when you want her gone.
This would be one hell of a challenge with hand held footage. And
so much more difficult than simply having the actress move while
the camera is away from her. Since the actress does not disappear
on camera I don't see the point of trying to exactly match the hand
held camera moves.

Sometimes the simple way is better than using efx software. I'd love
to see you recreate that clip using your method. That would be
impressive.

This would be one hell of a challenge with hand held footage. And
so much more difficult than simply having the actress move while
the camera is away from her. Since the actress does not disappear
on camera I don't see the point of trying to exactly match the hand
held camera moves.

Sometimes the simple way is better than using efx software. I'd love
to see you recreate that clip using your method. That would be
impressive.

Sure I'll work on it this weekend when I am done with my school project.

Well how do you guys explain the part where the actor was at 2 different places? As the guy pans left and right the actor was on the stairs but also was at the kitchen room/hall doorway? Is it 2 actors? I would like to know how to do it with one, if possible.

Last edited:
Very simple; two actors dressed the same.

Why do you need to make it complicated and do it with one actor? Keep it simple.

It's not my intention to make it complicated with one actor, I'm just merely asking if there is a way to do it with one actor, whether the complications arises there or not that's another topic. But I guess assuming 2 actors is the most plausible solution, your answer has helped in a way. Thanks!

Back