Help me decide which camera I should go for

So, i am totally new to this forum. I don't suppose you see so many swedes around here, I haven't from all the reading I´ve done as a guest.

Anyway, I have a huge interest in making films and have been writing on a script for a while now. I feel satisfied with the results and now it is time to take action. But I have one major problem which is that I don't own a camera yet. I´ve been looking for some models for a while now but I have a hard time to decide one to buy.

I've got some different alternatives that I've been thinking about:

Canon EOS 550D (t2i in the US?)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1

this new Sony model;
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...ngId=-1&productId=8198552921666239819#reviews

or is it better to buy a budget hdv-camera for around 2000$?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-FX7-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280916948&sr=8-1
Is this a good alternative?

Though, I am very open to any new suggestions :yes:

Im on a budget that allows me to buy a camera for 2000$, maybe a little bit more if it is a very good alternative.

Requirements: Interchangeable Lens, HD Support (Prefer if it is full HD 1080p) and that it will work fine with Final Cut Pro/Studio. 24p would be awesome too, but it looks like it is pretty difficult to find a camera that has 24p and all my other requirements for a price under/around 2000$. But then to say, Im not a pro and that's why I want you guys to help me out so that I will be satisfied with my choice.

I would prefer to find a camera that I can be flexible with, which means im not that into a HDV camera if its not significantly better than the other options when it comes to picture quality, editing options and so on. The new Sony camera looks interesting with it's smooth design, but the lack of 24p kind of makes me turned off. I will film other things then movie projects to, so that's another reason why I want a camera that is pretty easy to handle and travel with.

I will edit my craft on a Macbook Pro with Intel i7 processors, 4gb ddr3 ram and a 500gb harddrive if that is necessary information in any way.

Another last question: Im going on a trip to California in the end of this month, so I though it would be a good idea to buy a camera over there because of the weak dollar compared to the swedish crown. But will it be any complications when I use it back here in Europe? Of course I know that I will need a new power cable, but will it be any problems with the format or anything?

Thanks in advance!
/ dillerkiller

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're planning to travel, check out what camera stores are in your local airport. You might get yourself a deal, be it there's no tax.

Within your price range, Canon 5d Mark ii.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Digital...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item5adb243b0d

It's seller refurbished, but comes with a one year warranty. Pending on how long your shoot is, you could rent a lens, shoulder mount etc.

It's a long-shot.

Alternatively the 550D should suffice, it'll give you breathing room with lenses.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that I could find a 5D Mark II for such a low price! And the prices are even better on the US Ebay.

Will it be any trouble using a camera bought in the US back here in Europe? If not, I think I will place a bid on a Mark II.

It should be perfectly fine, although I would contact the seller before bidding to get the all clear. You won't regret purchasing a 5D, be sure to check out some test-footage, research what the model needs to give you the best chance of reaching its outstanding potential.

I've been looking on some test-footage and it is looking phenomenal, I am really looking forward to start exploring the possibilities with this camera.

Do you/anyone have any tips on a good lense to start with? I thought it may be a good idea to start with buying one good "overall" lense that I can start shooting with, and then when I gained some experience complete my set with a variety of different lenses. Is this a good idea or should I go for a few more directly so I have some to experiment with? My budget is getting tight and I doesn't have all that money for a good set of lenses.

Back