• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help! Looking for Flicker-Free lighting options for high speed Green Screen

So as I make more and more films, I'm wanting to do more sci-fi/fantasy based, and use location footage from around the world. So looking forward I need to setup a green screen in either my garage or spare room in my house.

Garage - concrete floor, longer space, high ceiling but less temperature control (cold in the winter, hot in the summer) and garbage can location.

Spare Room - Carpet Floor, 8 foot ceilings, about 80% long and same width as garage.

Ideally my long term efforts would be to set up a true studio elsewhere, but that costs more money than I currently budgeted.

I know I need Blue & Green screen of some sort but in terms of lighting I'm quite lost as there seems to be a significant number of options and locations to which to purchase.

There is however a cravat, I'm shooting with a FS700 for slow motion so I need Flickr free lighting, which so far I've only found in portable LEDS, as you can guess this is expensive, so I'm looking at other options if possible.

It really depends on what frame rate you plan to shoot. Many fixtures are safe up to 120fps. Past that, and you're getting into a whole 'nother realm.

Even HMIs aren't flicker free! Despite having 'flicker free' ballasts, they are only safe up to ~120fps; past that you'll start to run into issue.

The only options past that are really the sun (which is cheap, easy and free!), large tungsten lights (5k+ as anything less tends to flicker), or Plasma lights, which are not bad, but relatively expensive for someone on a low budget to get any kind of decent output. There are a few select LEDs available that will be flicker free, but not having experience with many, I can't tell you specifically which (though I believe the Area 48 Remore Phosphour ones are relatively flicker free IIRC).

Well, it really depends on how much money you want to spend. If you have quite a large budget, there are a few light options I can suggest. With no/limited budget, I can't really suggest anything (other than the sun) that I know 100% certain will be safe up to 240fps.

Dedolight has a ballast that can lead DC throught your bulbs for 8 seconds before switching back to AC/DC. But it might not be cheap. It's made for high framerates: 1000fps and more :P

Back