• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hello Everyone !!!

I'm writing a dissertation on how sound effects the body physiologically in horror films and need information on various sound techniques used in horror films that can create tension and ambiguity. Could any one help me?!!

Thank you for your time

Of the top of my head, I suggest you watch 'Alien', 'Halloween', 'Psycho' and 'Jaws'. You should be able to find plenty of books about these scores too, because they're all classic films.

Newer horror films usually employ pretty similar techniques but I think one that stands out of the crowd is 'Silent Hill', which has an incredibly beautiful and evocative soundtrack. You should pick something typical as well, like 'Saw' or 'The Descent' or something, to show the kind of methods that are usually used in contemporary horror.

I think you should consider mentioning a horror film with no music as well, like 'Blair Witch Project' or 'Rec', because they have very good reasons for not using a soundtrack, and at times something can be more powerful without music than with it.

Thanks a lot guys i appreciate that !! i know i need to write a lot about the music but is there any films that really stand out for sound effects? Like screaming or the tearing of flesh something that really effects you physically ?

Thank you

D

The first thing that comes to mind is the boxing sequences in Black Dahlia. They are brutal and uncomfortable, mostly due to fantastic sound design. Check the ringwraith scenes in Fellowship of the Ring as well (actually, Lord of the Rings sound design, start to finish, TOP NOTCH).

I'll try to think of some others (and more specifically horror). I'd love to read your dissertation when you are done with it!

Hey Ernst,

Can you give me more information on how sound effects the body in horror films? obviously from your perspective if you have been involved in any horror films, what techniques would you employ to create effect tension within the audience? I need to use quotes from film makers!!!!

All the best

Dan

p.s thank you everyone for the help.

I havent made any horror movies but i do remember the sounds from 28 Days Later. The effects when flesh was being ripped into.

As for techniques, i can think of an old right now in horror movies which is accustom the audience to one thing and throw another at them. For example, a sound as the character looks behind every curtain but nothing happens. Then there is no music but suddenly he's attacked from nowhere.

If you end up using any quotes from indietalk, send me a copy of the paper if u can :)

I'd check out http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/10/cover-your-ears.html?ref=hp where they explore different frequencies and their physiological reactions.

The most common techniques are less physiological and more psychological. Usually it is associating a sound with a violent or scary visual. Since people are hard wired to link cause and effect (even when there is none) they will assume the music or sound is a prelude to violence so then that becomes a mechanism to build tension.

The sounds you normally hear of flesh tearing or other spurty sounds are not realistic and reactions to those sounds are often more due to having previously associated the sounds with something unsettling.

It might help to try and see if there is any research on neurochemical responses by the brain to sound and memories you can access.

Back