Helllpppp!!!!

okay...i have the intro to my doc, that I burned onto a disc and I want to put it on here, but I dont know how....the computer the film's saved on is like 2 and ahalf hours away...and id really like some feed back now. How do I get it off of a disc and onto this site?

You need to convert the movie into a file you can upload to a website. Once uploaded, you put a link to the movie (or clip) in a post on this site. You will need to have some type of webspace available to upload your clip before we can preview it.

Since you do not actually have a link to a movie in this thread, I will move it out of the screening room.

If your movie is something.avi or something.mpg or something.mov then it's converted already. What you need is a web host. There are some free ones around but they're more trouble than they're worth IMHO. You could host it yourself if you have the know-how because the software to do it is free. You could pay someone or (more likely) some company. Basically you're renting space on their server and a certain amount of bandwidth. I've had excellent luck a number of web hosts. Find one that's reputable and in your price range.

Once you have web space then you need to upload your film so other people can download it. You can do this many ways. Just copy the file up and let other people copy the file down to their hard drives or embed the film and let people watch it by streaming. Either way, it helps to know how to make a web page.

To answer your questions there is more information we need to know.

Did you make a VCD or did you copy the video file to the CD?

Did you make a DVD or did you copy the video file to the DVD?

If you coppied the file to the CD/DVD then you just need to upload that to your webspace. If you don't have webspace, then you'll need to get some big enough to hold your file. Send me a PM if you don't have space and I'll give you some on my web server. Do you have an FTP program? If not, get Filezilla.

If you made a DVD or VCD and you can't figure out what file it is on the disc, then you'll need to rip it from the disc. Unfortunately, I don't rip footage from DVD's so I cannot recommend a ripper.

I do not believe so at all!
In fact a friend of mine works for a company that records video of their construction sites with a DV cam recording on miniDVDs... They want to transfer off the footage from the miniDVD and put 4 of them on one regular size DVD.

They Rip the miniDVDs and add the footage to a regular size DVD.

How is that illegal?

Now You've Done It!!

In fact Lars just asked for your number Spatula for using their name without permission and you Knightly for making an unauthorized copy. :lol:

I don't understand it fully myself, and the laws are being fought over even as we speak, so my nfo may be erroneous, but all DVD rippers have a DVD decrypter. It's the decrypter that makes them illegal.

In this case, yes, the tool is considered illegal here in the USA (the UK, Germany and other places too).

I think that's false, Boz and here's why.

You are legally able to create back-up coppies of your media correct? You have CD Roms and make a backup you can as long as you don't share that copy with anyone. There are programs available for it and even entire websites which tell you how to get around the copy protection (gamecopyworld).

For music, you are legally able to make backup coppied, make them into MP3's, copy the entire disc, etc... It's legal as long as it's for the purchaser's own use, can't share it.

Now we come to movies, in the VHS days there were VCR's that you could buy that would allow you to make backup coppies of your tapes. These were sold at nationally recognized stores. You could make a backup copy if you didn't share it.

Now, in these days you can record TV programs to harddrive or DVD instantly. That's copying right?

I personally feel that if you need to make a backup copy of a DVD you are legally allowed as long as it remains yours. I feel that if you copy your own DVD of your own footage that you shot and own all rights to and give it away, that it's legal.
How do you copy a CD ROM? with software or hardware. How do you copy a music CD? with software or hardware. How do you copy DVDs? with hardware or software.

The tool is not illegal. If you use that tool to copy a copyrighted DVD and then you give it away and/or sell it, you're in violation of the law. If you use that tool to copy a personally created DVD where you own all the rights, then you're not in violation of the law.

So here's scenario. I make a DVD for one of the shorts I made. I own all the rights to the footage, actor clearences adn all that. Then I put it up for sale, say $7 including shipping. I get 1000 orders (WOOHOO!!!). In the mean time my PC crashes hard and all data is lost. I re-install all my apps but the movie data is gone, all I have is that master DVD.

You are saying that it's illegal for me to make a copy of it? I think not.

I use a ripper to keep a copy on my hard drive and burn coppies with my PC.

OR

I get a stand alone burner and it coppied the DVD onto its harddrive then burns the coppies.

OR

I get a standalone burner that has one reader drive and 7 burning drives. It reads my DVD and makes a copy of it onto the other 7 DVDs at the same time.

Then I package the DVD's and ship them to the customers.

How are any of these scenarios illegal?

- CootDog
Fly High
Live Large
Dream BIG!

I bought a DVD burner less than a year ago. It was packaged with a suite of software including Nero and WinDVD copying/authoring tools. The WinDVD program for copying DVDs has a copyright protection check-mechanism built into it so it will NOT allow me to make copies of any copy-protected discs. It WILL allow me to make copies of any disc without copy-protection (ie: something I made myself). My understanding of the current law is that DVD copying is fine as long as you are not using a program to hack through and copy a protected disc.

Back